AuthorTopic: Tank  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Tank

Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 12:17:56 am
I don't know about the rest of you but I just think having a straight-on top view lightsource on this tank isn't doing this any favours, I personally would go off from the side or something and plonk in some shadows and lighter spots judging on what you think would be hit more by the light. My very quick/rough suggestion.

I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline doofer

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 04:44:39 pm
Wow Terley, that really made a world of difference! I tried your sprite in my game just to see if it would work rotated to, and it did! It really gives it a better depth feeling. You don't really notice that the tanks have different light-sources in-game anyway.

So I'm going to have a go at this too - but I'll leave the turret shadow casting to the engine, as they will be rotated separately.

In the meantime, what are your impressions of my soldier graphic?

A side question - what do you guys use for animating? I'm using Photoshop for pixelling, which I feel quite at home with, and guess I could use Imageready, which I also have, but I'd really like to have something simpler with more features to make animating easier.

Edit: Here's my new version with a moved light-source. The lower images have added drop shadows with semi-transparency (which will be similar to how they're finally rendered in-game), so they are not true to the palette.

C+C on both the tank and the soldier appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:16:07 pm by doofer »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 06:58:51 am
Pretty neat. Maybe this is a personal preference of mine, but I don't like the metallic look which comes from going all the way to the highlight color (white-ish), esp. on the turret. This makes the color of the tank hard to get a grasp of (and it makes it look like metal/chrome). If it's blue, you should stay with blue for a while and use highlight sparingly. Another problem with a metallic look is that it makes details noisy. The stuff on the barrel kinda gets lost against the hull now.

There's some orange tanks a bit down here. Pretty flat, with slight highlights going around edges, which mostly try to be angular.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4211.0

Also, going from black to blue to white produces a rather boring gradient. Hues are nice to throw in.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1025.0

Just something to ponder about, not trying to conform you here.