AuthorTopic: What got you into Pixel Art?  (Read 25015 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: What got you into Pixel Art?

Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 12:20:41 pm
I think I first came across the term on pixelation, yes. Many, many years after the initial infatuation.

Scotteh

Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 12:38:45 pm
Oh I first started on Tip.it runescape forums making runescape signatures using paint cus I didn't have any other program, at first I didn't think of it as pixel-art, don't remember even know what pixel art was.. Sick and tired of trying to make 'pixel signatures'   (they were hardly that as one of my pieces was 200+ unecissery colours), I realised there is more to pixel art than what I have been doing.. im still trying to shake off those old bad habits.

Lol same here, except i started on runescape community and was enspired by 3 people,  Jabraulter, misterxman and musn't forget Godslayer ;D

Offline Neoriceisgood

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 12:24:05 pm
Running into sprites, not managing to find what game they were from, realising that people could make them themselves, with paint.

Pretty much the entire realisation that it was possible to make such awesome things with pixels; I was always fascinated with pixel art back when I was still hogging my SNES all day.

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 02:26:35 am
One day I just wanted to make an icon...

And suddenly I was making more and more pixel art. I also love games, even more if they are 2D, so I guess it's natural.
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 03:36:25 am
i think i first got into pixel art from seeing it on DA...there were some impressive works and it just totally got into my head that i should learn that stuff. i was probably pretty influenced from all those consoles as well but didn' really experiment until about 2 years ago. i saw those isometric works and that was all i wanted to learn how to do...ISO!

DA just may have been my gateway into finding pixeljoint, pixelation, etc etc.. everything pixel art...weird.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 03:12:28 pm
Street Fighter II.   ;)

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 11:01:22 am
When I was really really young my sole source of entertainment for a while was an a500 with

- a shitload of Psygnosis titles
- Deluxe Paint III

I was doomed.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 11:20:30 am
it was called spriting when I got into it.

I've always been obsessed about imitating 2d game graphics anyway. My school notebooks are full of drawings imitatiing mario bros and megaman :p

But it wasnt until I saw the ripped sprites from MegamanX4 that I actually sprited, I couldnt belive that the graphics that I liked so much in-game were so tiny and simple to do.

there was also an influence from editing digimon/pokemon cursors, I was into animating from the beggining.....I remember one of the first things I did was animating the fire in a charmander's tail.

Then I came to pixelation it was because I got a heads up from the first guy who's homemade never finsihed game I worked on.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:42:09 am by Conceit »

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 11:24:18 am
My sister bagging me out about asking other people for graphics on the GMC.  So I opened paint and did a little sprite.  I found the experience quite enjoyable.  So I did more, and I found myself getting better.  Then after about a month I found Pixel Forums.  I saw indigo's stuff there and was quite impressed.  So I followed the link in his sig here, and I realised how crap I was.  Since then I have been trying to get better, and if you compare my newer posted stuff with my oldest piece here:

to my later stuff:

VV WIP VV

I think you'll see the impact this place has had on me.  Anyway, enough about my life. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 04:20:48 am
When I was about 11 i was messing around with applepaint or whatever the paint program was called on the macintosh ( one of those ones that was a single unit ). Anyway, I was trying to draw something, but really didn't like how jagged the pencil tool made everything look. Zoomed in, tried to make something pixel by pixel and came up with a little man. Decided to make a bunch of these, knights, men, women, animal people, whatever. Then decided I could do a little wares waldo montage. A few hours later I had something like that, brought it to school, all the kids thought i was cool :)

Didn't repeat for nearly 12 years.

WHat got me back into it was that taiwan site lovepixel, the first piece I did was:

Really the one and only ISO piece I've ever done, moved on to pixeling my sketches after that.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama