AuthorTopic: Just a bit of fun.  (Read 9868 times)

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: Just a bit of fun.

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 09:39:28 pm
A somewhat off-topic note: when posting art hosted on imageshack, please remove the link from it.  It's really annoying to try to zoom in on something and have it send you to a website you don't particularly want to visit at the time.

More on-topic, listen to what others have said.  I look forward to the promised update.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 01:14:10 pm
Okay, it's obvious you read Tsugumo's tutorial, and its obvious you stole the design of your main character from here:

http://www.geocities.com/skulkraken2002/chapter8.html
Don't do that again. Also, since you did read the tutorial, but I'm guessing you just skipped to "interesting" parts and missed everything about the grass tiles and breaking up the grid. So read it again, then do some quality work, not tiles that have been spray-pixeled.

Also, the blue text at the top right, is impossible to read. Also, stop using MS Paint default colors, they are good only for style pixels and such.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:16:14 pm by Takai Soyokaze »

Scotteh

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:54:54 pm
 :'( sorry i forgot to tell you that i used those lines. I dont spray paint and i will try and fix the text :'(

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 02:18:29 pm
It's even more than that, all you did was recolor the sprite. Furthermore, you didn't recolor everything.

Secondly, even if you didn't use the spray tool, the fact is your tiles are (eck... perfectly square) random color, and really don't look like grass.  Seriously, just look at it, does that look like grass? No, I've never seen grass with light green squares every foot. Also, where the grass turns into something else, you definately need some sort of transition. Your doing exactly what Chapter 1 and 2 of Tsugumo's tutorial tells you NOT to do.

Scotteh

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 05:40:19 pm
is this better?

and i really dont understand tusgumos grass tutorial

Heres the tiles and i made my own sprite as you can see

i hope the grass looks a bit better now !yus!

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 07:55:55 pm
The grass definitely looks a bit better now but it's still looks very tiled, but I have a few ideas on how you could fix that.

First if you work with colors a bit more and get a bit less contrast in the tiles I think that would help take away the eye sore of obvious tiling. You could perhaps also make another grass tile or some small bushes, shrubs, trees, flowers, whatever to add to break that up a bit.

I suggest you look into your colors choices a bit more too because as it looks right now your colors are more or less pure green, with full saturation. Try giving the darker colors a bit of blue or you could try a bit more of a brownish look depending on your preference and then for the highlights why not try adding a bit more yellow in it?

I almost would suggest trying 2 color grass tile for now until you have a feel for the shapes of the grass and then use some subtle highlights to bring out the shape.

Curious also why you choose 13x13 tiles? I'm not that familiar with tile sizes but I thought they generally followed more of a 16x16 and 32x32 approach.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:01:29 pm by Delgneith »

Scotteh

Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 08:26:35 pm
im not to good at getting sizes right, i thought they were 16 by 16? and im working on a few bushes, trees etc.

im personnaly pleased with the path way and the big orange patch is supposed to be mud of some kind which i dont think came out to well :'(

i will try and make the colours more bluish to and make a different tile, probably one with a bit of mud in it

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 01:48:21 am
The colors your using would make a nice console type RPG.

Scotteh

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 07:44:36 am
The colors your using would make a nice console type RPG.

so do i have a good palette at the moment then?

And i have done my first ever peice of isometric artwork :D

(not finsihed yet)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:42:51 am by Scotteh »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 12:51:14 pm
I'm afraid that image isn't pixel art, it's been resized or somewhat. Also, try not to upload such a huge canvas next time.

(And personally i think the palette in your other piece was far too bright and distracting to be used as a background in a RPG, the green jumps out at me and slaps me round the face)