AuthorTopic: Just a bit of fun.  (Read 9866 times)

Scotteh

Just a bit of fun.

on: October 20, 2006, 05:30:00 pm
i decided to go ahead and make these, C n C apprecieated and edits are welcome (the wood is supposed to be very smooth and shiny)

Got the lineart from the lineart thread for this one, i tried several different styles of colouring

Heres a random mockup i made

And heres the tiles and other things i used
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 03:13:02 pm by Scotteh »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: Just a bit of fun.

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 07:29:16 pm
Try not to make small things big because if you see on the lineart it looks really blocky. Some AA could be used on that. The wood is slimey looking and I know you meant it to look that way.

The faces are pretty neat, I like the middle 3 the best.

Scotteh

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 07:33:04 pm
thanks Victor but i dont quite get what your saying?
Try not to make small things big because if you see on the lineart it looks really blocky.
???

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 07:35:42 pm
I agree, that was confusing. Could you clarify VictoR?

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 07:50:58 pm
Firstly, from the brush and your avatar, I can see your not really pixeling. All you did was fill in the color, and add two brush strokes of light and dark. I'm sorry for rudeness, but you don't seem like you put much effort at all into it. You definately should read all of the tutorials available.

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 08:01:27 pm
Victor means when Scott made the paintbrush n' stuff....those are small....he made them look big.....they look "blocky", so the edge of the paintbrushes (normaly in real life smooth) look "blocky"(like not smooth)  ....get it?
Japan + Canada = Japanada

Scotteh

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 08:05:01 pm
Oh so thats what you meant, i dont know how to tidy that up very well though and victor my avtar was a one off and im still not finished with the brushes and stuff :mean:

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:14:24 pm
Ya.  :-\
Japan + Canada = Japanada

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:28:48 pm

Not great, but I did put effort into it, and it's easily noticable.

Scotteh

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 09:33:50 pm
thank you very very very very much Takai, i should learn alot from that, expect to see an update soon ^-^ :yay:

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 09:39:28 pm
A somewhat off-topic note: when posting art hosted on imageshack, please remove the link from it.  It's really annoying to try to zoom in on something and have it send you to a website you don't particularly want to visit at the time.

More on-topic, listen to what others have said.  I look forward to the promised update.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 01:14:10 pm
Okay, it's obvious you read Tsugumo's tutorial, and its obvious you stole the design of your main character from here:

http://www.geocities.com/skulkraken2002/chapter8.html
Don't do that again. Also, since you did read the tutorial, but I'm guessing you just skipped to "interesting" parts and missed everything about the grass tiles and breaking up the grid. So read it again, then do some quality work, not tiles that have been spray-pixeled.

Also, the blue text at the top right, is impossible to read. Also, stop using MS Paint default colors, they are good only for style pixels and such.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:16:14 pm by Takai Soyokaze »

Scotteh

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:54:54 pm
 :'( sorry i forgot to tell you that i used those lines. I dont spray paint and i will try and fix the text :'(

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 02:18:29 pm
It's even more than that, all you did was recolor the sprite. Furthermore, you didn't recolor everything.

Secondly, even if you didn't use the spray tool, the fact is your tiles are (eck... perfectly square) random color, and really don't look like grass.  Seriously, just look at it, does that look like grass? No, I've never seen grass with light green squares every foot. Also, where the grass turns into something else, you definately need some sort of transition. Your doing exactly what Chapter 1 and 2 of Tsugumo's tutorial tells you NOT to do.

Scotteh

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 05:40:19 pm
is this better?

and i really dont understand tusgumos grass tutorial

Heres the tiles and i made my own sprite as you can see

i hope the grass looks a bit better now !yus!

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 07:55:55 pm
The grass definitely looks a bit better now but it's still looks very tiled, but I have a few ideas on how you could fix that.

First if you work with colors a bit more and get a bit less contrast in the tiles I think that would help take away the eye sore of obvious tiling. You could perhaps also make another grass tile or some small bushes, shrubs, trees, flowers, whatever to add to break that up a bit.

I suggest you look into your colors choices a bit more too because as it looks right now your colors are more or less pure green, with full saturation. Try giving the darker colors a bit of blue or you could try a bit more of a brownish look depending on your preference and then for the highlights why not try adding a bit more yellow in it?

I almost would suggest trying 2 color grass tile for now until you have a feel for the shapes of the grass and then use some subtle highlights to bring out the shape.

Curious also why you choose 13x13 tiles? I'm not that familiar with tile sizes but I thought they generally followed more of a 16x16 and 32x32 approach.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:01:29 pm by Delgneith »

Scotteh

Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 08:26:35 pm
im not to good at getting sizes right, i thought they were 16 by 16? and im working on a few bushes, trees etc.

im personnaly pleased with the path way and the big orange patch is supposed to be mud of some kind which i dont think came out to well :'(

i will try and make the colours more bluish to and make a different tile, probably one with a bit of mud in it

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 01:48:21 am
The colors your using would make a nice console type RPG.

Scotteh

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 07:44:36 am
The colors your using would make a nice console type RPG.

so do i have a good palette at the moment then?

And i have done my first ever peice of isometric artwork :D

(not finsihed yet)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:42:51 am by Scotteh »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 12:51:14 pm
I'm afraid that image isn't pixel art, it's been resized or somewhat. Also, try not to upload such a huge canvas next time.

(And personally i think the palette in your other piece was far too bright and distracting to be used as a background in a RPG, the green jumps out at me and slaps me round the face)

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 03:53:19 pm
That's harsh Larwick..You should look back at FF3 or 2.

Scotteh

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 04:12:31 pm
heh heh sorry couldn't help but laugh at that comment larwick
the green jumps out at me and slaps me round the face

and imageshakc resized the isometric peice, it is pixeled, i will upload it again with a smaller canvas :D

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 04:28:15 pm
That's harsh Larwick..You should look back at FF3 or 2.

And those are horrible examples to look at, and restriction-bound at that. So no, the palette is not good, neither are the tiles to be honest. The high saturation and contrast are really hard on the eyes, and so is the repetitiveness of the tiles and texture that makes it really busy. Before composing a mockup you should see that you have enough tiles to break it up and smooth it out more. Transition tiles between the different ground types for at the very least vertical and horizontal borders, diagonal ones provide even more possibilities to break the grid and make it more interesting. There are great examples of rpg tiles in the very tutorial you were inspired by. I'd say work at a slightly larger scale and don't texture anything manically, flat spaces can make for nice stylistic effects, and, most importantly, clarity. One of the most important things about how an image is perceived is the distribution of values. What you have here covers the darkest darks and the brightest brights in every tile, which makes it basically impossible to clearly make out neither dark nor bright objects, since it's already all over the place. My recomendation would be, that you look at other examples of professional work, and start over.
About the isometric piece, yes, please always crop the canvas to a reasonable size, and again, don't use too saturated colors. It seems to be a really early wip, on which I cannot comment much. I think you should work on it more until you get to a point where you yourself do not know anymore how to improve it and then post it again.

VicorR, you already have been notified about this, and if you keep posting such unelaborate posts at such a fast rate, you'll have your post-count zapped, because most of the time it seems that you are just posting to get it up. You are a top candidate for a strike.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:42:40 pm by miascugh »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 04:35:58 pm
And why would I want to get my post up? Zap them to 0 all you want I could care less about my post count. Keeping this community fun is what I try to do?! I didn't know all posts had to be strict to just critisizm and comment. Do what you want with my post count it means nothing to me.  ;)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 05:38:51 pm
And why would I want to get my post up? Zap them to 0 all you want I could care less about my post count. Keeping this community fun is what I try to do?! I didn't know all posts had to be strict to just critisizm and comment. Do what you want with my post count it means nothing to me.  ;)

Don't mean to derail this - but victor, i too have noticed that a lot of your posts seem to be rather pointless.  Perhaps try different activities from posting excessively on a forum.

I think the iso building you did has potential.  If you show the normal size - we can help you texture it and fix a lot of those shadow problems i can see.

the tiles are not bad for a first attempt - but they are just too eye-burning.  Tone down the colors aswell as fix it to a standard tilesize, 32x32 24x24 or 16x16.

Keep on trucking.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 05:55:16 pm
Again, you copied a tutorial.

http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=18

Instead of going from one thing to another, learn how to do something. Work on that grass, it's horrible, and I'm not going to let everyone treat it like a pink elephant.

This is a much better grass tutorial. Again, stop using mspaint colors.
http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=3&page=11

Scotteh

Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 06:09:27 pm
heres the isometric building again:

and heres a new tile set :huh:

Takai how have i copied the building? mines rectangular and that ones a square.. :mean:

and sorry its a habit it of mine (slaps self round the face) :hehe:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:15:25 pm by Scotteh »

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 06:15:54 pm
What miascugh called "distribuation of values" is so important that I like to emphasize it with this post. I myself keep forgetting this often enough when beeing busy with colour twisting and trying to be oh so smart. Thank's mia for hitting me with that club. Anyways scotteh the best way to learn is to actually do it. So continue to pixel and try to improve your started pieces. What's so great about the pixel err - can we call it community? - are the great crits and the tons of high-quality tutorials. Just check out the tutorial/link section here you will surely find something useful there too. Good hunting!

I don't understand why you're going for tiles so early. Try to get the pixel basics straight before diving into tiling.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:20:20 pm by Niss »