AuthorTopic: [WIP] New to Pixel Art  (Read 8184 times)

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

[WIP] New to Pixel Art

on: October 19, 2006, 01:13:13 am

NEW (Oct 19, 2006 12:39am)

Reference Picture Used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PantherTankColor.jpg

NEW TANK (Oct 19, 2006 7:12am)

NEW TANK (Oct 19, 2006 7:08pm)

NEW Alien RPG Sprite (Oct 20, 2006 11:11pm)

NEW Alien RPG Sprite (Oct 21, 2006 1:51am)

NEW Alien RPG Sprite (Oct 21, 2006 2:16am)

I'm brand new to pixel art however I got into it so I could make Hobie Games since I spent years learning to program games.  I have done a ton of tutorials on basic drawing and I've learned to use Real Images to make my art.  I have worked pretty hard to make this first piece of pixel art, however I'm not done yet.  I have a lot to learn and add as well, right now I'm making a Panzer V (Panther) German tank for a small 2D game.

I really need help on how to improve my art and how I can make the colors not look so dull.  Please post helpful info for me and critic what I have done so far.  I already no this is not a master piece or even close, however it's only my first pixel art project.

(NOTE: I'm no longer working on the above pixel arts, I have moved onto another project, thanks!)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:22:05 am by cpaw88 »

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] New to Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:32:27 am
Next step: SHADING!
You can't just slap patterns on a lineart and then declare it done, you still have to shade it.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:46:20 am
Thanks for the input, however I didn't state it as done.

"I have worked pretty hard to make this first piece of pixel art, however I'm not done yet."

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 06:41:35 am
Alright, I added some lighting and I don't think I went and overkilled the effect, now I need to make the wheels a bit shaded.  How does the tank look so far?  I will be making the tank barrel longer and smaller as well.

My only problem is I'm not sure on what colors to use for lighting so I have a feeling I used not so great ones because it doesn't appear to match fully with the tank.

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:50:29 am
Your tank looks mad disproportionate too the real thing.  These may have been intended... but you've also missed a few important things that make the Panther Tank a Panther tank.  Check your reference pictures and have a look at the shape of the barrel and the shape of the base of the barrel.  These things are mere tributes to my O.C.D. but also the pivoting part (I'm no tank expert) is also huge!  I would like to add that this piece has no perspective so colouring what is basically a flat surface with lighting and such is a silly thing to be doing, especially as you start to dabble in pixel art.  I suggest trying something with a little more 3D-ness (aka depth) and form.  Good luck!

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:31:28 am
Thank you for you reply, there indeed is a light source at the Top Left for this game, however I'm not going for 100% of the look of the Panzer V, but to make a Tank and learn Pixel Art while trying to improve the overall look not including if it looks like a Panther or not.

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 01:15:20 pm
Now I just finished this little tank!  I got help for ideas from a guy on another forum so heres my brand new tank!  :lol:

It's only Grey and Black for now untell Im done with the full tank then I'll add colors!  ;D

I'm officially scrapping my Panzer V idea.

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 01:10:17 am
I just redid the whole tank and this is what I got so far!

I don't fully no how to make it look more angled with colors since I'm still new to Pixel Art, however I hope this is a start.

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:16:00 pm
Does anyone have any input or help they can give?  It apears people don't really C&C unless the artist isn't new, I find that a bit unfair and its lacking with this community.

I remember coming here a while back and people were a lot more helpful.

Thanks to anyone willing to help me improve.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 09:20:40 pm
There's pretty much no AAing. I wouldn't dither it, either, tanks are usually steel or aluminum [so Wikipedia says], and you tend not to dither metals. Colors are boring because, well, they aren't colors. Try using a few, they're pretty neat.