AuthorTopic: Pixelation has been DUGG!  (Read 33350 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Pixelation has been DUGG!

Reply #50 on: October 24, 2006, 02:54:26 am
In general, I believe that disvaluing a tool that is more agile for your particular application simply because it  is unfamiliar, is a false economy; If you could use one tool more effectively to create your art,  then that is the more effective tool, unless you need to get the art done straight away always. It's markedly shortsighted. Your ability to maintain creative flow is dependent on being able to get the program to do what you want. In this respect, both your understanding  of the program and the program's essential power are equally important.

i never said that i didnt intend to learn it, but the fact is that whatever i did in promotion first would be a little more difficult than anything i did in a familar program.  you have a funny way of twisting someone else's words to try and back up your point, and it doesn't do you much credit.  that, coupled with the fact that you completely contradict yourself with that last sentence......you arent making sense to me.

I understand that the version of paint that comes with XP does address that -- it supports PNG, so saving with colors completely preserved is possible.

dancing around the issue though; png's made with paint still don't have a defined palette which is necessary for any program/engine requiring one, making paint very poorly adapted to game art.

helm - to make things tougher, you can onyl use the keyboard. 
my dad still has an essay he wrote in grad school about how free-motion hardware (like a mouse) would only make things too inexact and clumbsey :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #51 on: October 24, 2006, 02:59:53 am

What... you mean like almost every pixel program on the c64?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: October 24, 2006, 03:40:03 am
or the apple II, or any other twenty-five-year-old computer in my dad's basement :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: October 24, 2006, 06:54:19 am

Heh, yeah that's nothing new, spent at least 5 years pixelling with just the keyboard, and plotting out fonts on graph paper.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: October 24, 2006, 11:41:33 am
i never said that i didnt intend to learn it, but the fact is that whatever i did in promotion first would be a little more difficult than anything i did in a familar program.  you have a funny way of twisting someone else's words to try and back up your point, and it doesn't do you much credit.  that, coupled with the fact that you completely contradict yourself with that last sentence......you arent making sense to me.
The final sentence is completely in line with the rest of my argument.  "Your ability to maintain creative flow is dependent on being able to get the program to do what you want." for example. -- which depends on both the program's power and your ability to utilize that power.

As for attribution of motives, I cannot quote rule 1, as it doesn't say "Don't be an ass to yourself'.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: October 24, 2006, 11:51:53 am
When you have the luxury of time, it doesn't hurt to try new programs. But you'll never know for sure if it is the best use of your time since not all tools fit all people and you have to at least try it to make that discovery rather than rely solely on what others say about it.

Hey, how about that DIGG site? Everyone do their part??  :-*

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #56 on: October 24, 2006, 12:14:34 pm

Yup, same goes for me.  All the Amstrad CPC pixel programs were used with either keyboard or joystick, and in the late 90's my mouse on my Amiga had failed and I couldn't afford a new one, so I ended up having to the Amiga's keyboard/mouse control thing (think it was hold down right Amiga key and cursor keys or something like that, been a long time), and all of my pixels from that period right up to about 2000 were done like that.  Maybe they could have been better, but that's the only way I could do them at that time.

I don't actually use a mouse much today either due to health problems which cause my wrist to shake too much to use a mouse accurately.
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Neoriceisgood

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: October 24, 2006, 12:16:56 pm
I use ms paint because events in my past have given me a great hatred for people who think that having a cool program automatically means you can do awesome things;

Everyone has MS Paint, Everyone hates it; and with that, -nobody- can claim I can make neat stuff because I use some sort of program that supposedly figures out shading and techniques for me.

But more importantly, I always get so confused when using other programs :(

And yey, Digg.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: October 25, 2006, 07:24:20 am
Sadly, hard or not hard, I don't see a lot of pixel art coming from your ways. Perhaps you need to get a program that you can work faster in?

Mmyes. That's because I'm busy studying 3D since I moved. I'll be posting that stuff in th OT-creativity thread sometime soon. We'll see how Paint measures up with XSI whenever I find some time to get back into pixel art. If you're lucky, I'll find myself more comfortable with another program by then!

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: November 02, 2006, 05:23:14 am
I know most of the hotkeys in Photoshop, and know how to pixel in Photoshop.

I usually use a mix of both programs, but I tend to use MSPaint more often.

After seeing all those videos in the recording post, I saw a bunch of weird things I'd never seen before in any paint program (paint only over one color, quick palette changing, etc.)

What program are you guys using? And if that's photoshop, how come I don't know about any of that stuff?

Any threads on advanced Photoshop techniques/hotkeys? Or whatever programs you guys use?

This thread certainly got off topic fast...