AuthorTopic: The Pixelation game, ludic metapthores for our artistic communication needs.  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
OK. so here goes. this is something I wrote up after cheching

On the Merits of Editing.

as I wrote my reply I realized my sentiments were too over-reaching for the thread's topic, so I decided to give this thread a shot.

A forum in itself, is basically a game, a substantiation of a set of ideals trough a set of rules, in this case by an interface and a doctrine.

interface being the forum itself, all of it's functions, buttons, sections, graphics, activities, ETC.

doctrine being what you CAN but shouldnt do.

I think we should as much as posible get rid of doctrines, and try to incorporate all of the rules into the interface. To do that we must be very sure about what ideals define what we want pixelation to be, how a pixeler's natural needs might lead him off this track, and what interface structures would prevent him from doing so, I explored this in relation to the second rule of pixelation in the "on editing" topic.

here are the relevant, pixelation's first two rules

Rule 1:

As it was and as it always shall be: Don't be an ass!

Rule 2: Do not rip artwork. Ever!

I think so much focus on regulation over how good editing is......vain and ultimately self destructive considering pixelation's first rule. IF we're trying to define a protocol for when and where should an editor be shunned we're implictly admitting shunning;" being an ass" as an acceptable behavior given the right conditions.

I think we should figure out the essential needs that keep people editing.

I mean, you all know about the constant fads, the iso collab, the lineart thread, the C&Cing. They are our very own form of acceptable editing, what we should do is redesign the board structure so newcomers, many of which are the posible editor "offenders" understand we know about their needs, and we just need them to solve them whitout being deceptive about their origins.

this is communication after all and a good conversation is always better than a single self involved statement, THAT is what editing is about. as artist we are still related with that age-old hermit painter, because our space for creation IS isolating, we ARE mostly doing this because it helps us in our introspection, so we are reluctant to let other people add on to our statements, but this is all something we need to figure out and substantiate within the forum structure, which would make the forum itself a work of art as well.

I am not saying I know exactly how to make pixelation a completly coherent interface based game, I am only saying we should be focusing on this more than anything, if this is solved and agreed on pixelation will solve it's own problems and grow on it's own.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 06:49:40 pm by Conceit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
In the sense that social constructions are games, yes, if you define a ruleset, and terms of success and failure, and everybody plays along.

This forum's end primary goal is self-betterment, secondary is to help others with their own betterment, third is to have a platform for expression and communication. The ruleset as defined has been empyrically proven to be the one that provides for these goals with the least amount of friction.

Moderators exist, because what constitutes assy behaviour has to be judged upon by a human standard, therefore automatic regulation on this is impossible. The users strike a deal with the moderators, that they will use the benefits of this forum, as long as they don't break the rules. It is implicit that they trust the moderator decisions, and that they are not maligant. A forum with moderators that desire bad things for their userbase doesn't last long.

This forum cannot be streamlined any further without creating Interface/Meaning issues. For the vast majority of users, the ruleset enforcement part of the deal is extremely transparent. Since you frequent edit forums you've seen some worse forums and how easily a platform of communication can be undermined or completely broken. I think we should for the time being be content with how well Pixelation is working, and bask in the nice ambience. If there seems to be some bottleneck hindering our further growth down the line, such a conversation will be renewed with new, vital interest. It is at this time, more or less academic a subject, though interesting for me.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
heh. that's right, I didnt realize I havent really commented on what is going on in here, I think the newsbox rules and there's lots of cool stuff going on, I'm happy with how things are going

it's just this idea popped up in my head in the other thread and I think it would be a good way to see the forum.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile
Rules, in order to stay just to there means, must be flexable. they must be able to be broken with exception and the moderators must be able to see these exceptions and treat them fairly. in this respect pixelation is very good.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!