AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 402553 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Pixelation OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #260 on: January 19, 2007, 10:02:51 am
Oh no! The post-rock comparison! Heh, I don't have anything to do with that scene really, though I enjoy some of the prototypical bands. I find Explosiions in the Sky very boring.

About piece for one treated guitar, the reverseisms are important because as the song name indicates... it's all just one guitar and vocals. No overdubs or time to do anything else. So the washes require a lot of returns to have the time to do all that needs to be done with just one set of hands.

The 'drone' thing. I don't understand why metalheads who discover ambient music need a new name for it. Sunn0)))) and the like are just dark ambient bands played by people in robes. I see no reason for this new genre name to exist. I liked ambient when I started listening to Eno, Fripp, Hecker, Loscil, so on, I didn't need anyone with a black metal background to tell me it's cool and okay to like it now.

I use Sonar 5 as a host, Guitar Rig 2 for guitar processing exclusively (I go off to play live with voidhead just today, no actual amps, all through Sonar/GR2), Absynth and Oatmeal VST for soundscapeage, BFD drumkit. Garritan Personal Orchestra for whatever else I might need in the mix. That is all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:05:23 am by Helm »

Offline Squeez

• View Profile
    • Girl-skaters

Reply #261 on: January 19, 2007, 04:21:30 pm

bad quality foto, ryan sheckler pro skater

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #262 on: January 20, 2007, 05:01:50 am
Here's my response.

I think to understand the reasoning behind any sort of art theory you need to examine the definition of art (my definition, anyway) which is any form of communicating ideas or emotions that appeals to the senses or to the soul.  I'd compare not knowing theory to not knowing a language, and being fluent in theory to being fluent in language.  When you were too young to talk, you were pretty successful at communicating basic emotions and needs without knowing any sort of language.  You just screamed, or cried, or laughed, or made a funny face, and you communicated.  But when you learned a language, the precision and detail with which you could communicate what you wanted increased greatly.  Now turn to music.  You can make music without music theory, you can communicate quite effectively without music theory.  If you're extremely talented, you can communicate pretty much anything without music theory.  However, what music theory does is makes it easier to communicate. 

You probably hear a lot of music in your head.  Without music theory, you would either be able to play it with some varying degree of accuracy (depending on how talented you are), or it would be lost forever when you forgot it.  But if you know theory, you could take the music in your head and write it down, and quickly insure that it's preserved.  I have a binder full of ideas that I discovered and wrote down.

Theory helps you recognize areas of dissonance where you might have missed it otherwise, it helps bring order to compositions, helps keep things organized, and most importantly, it helps you give your ideas to other musicians so they can play them as well.  Writing a symphony would be a near-impossible task if you didn't know theory.  Not only could you not keep the parts organized on a page, but you would have to make sure that each musician plays the right thing at the exact right time every time, and you would have to make sure all the parts sound how you want them to sound, every time.

I got into composition before I got into music.  Before I knew any theory, I would plunk out little melodies on the piano.  I had a bit of a talent for this, which is why I got involved in piano and composition in the first place.  But the pieces that I wrote at that time weren't that great, to tell the truth.  There's so much you can learn about theory and composition, not just from studying theory and composition, but from studying on an instrument.  If you study an instrument your music becomes more human, it can connect more, and you learn what instrumentalists are capable of (and are not capable of).  Also you learn a great deal about how other composers accomplished what you are trying to.

That's about all I have to say for now.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #263 on: January 20, 2007, 06:16:21 am
Thanks a lot for that response. Helps me understand the importance of music theory a bit better the way you put it.

I've got a drum set and a keyboard just waiting to get some attention, now. ;)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #264 on: January 20, 2007, 03:11:34 pm
I love ambient music and make it (Heavy Metal and ambient, go figure, huh?) but the sort of stuff I go for is not set out to unsettle or dislocate ear drums as much.

http://www.locustleaves.com/music/Piece%20for%20Treated%20Guitar%20and%20Voice.ogg
http://www.locustleaves.com/music/Song%20for%20the%20Sea,%20wip3.mp3

I was actually browsing through your 'index-of' music the other day. I listened through the entire directory almost 3 or 4 times, and it's damn good. you're a very multi-talented person. :)

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #265 on: January 20, 2007, 06:49:25 pm
We all love Helm.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #267 on: January 21, 2007, 12:59:28 am
omg kawaii times a millions!

all it needs now is the playboy logo, cause it's THAT HOT!

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #268 on: January 21, 2007, 07:43:46 am
What about if a guy walked out from behind the sign at the end even though it should be too thin for
him to hide behind.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #269 on: January 21, 2007, 11:02:49 am
I played with some virtual Legos today! :)  And no, didn't use instructions. The design is mine.

and the real version:
(I apologize for the crappy web-cam pics)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/calypson/photos/Picture18.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/calypson/photos/Picture17.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/calypson/photos/Picture16.jpg

When you invert the wheels to the insides of the 'legs' it looks heck-a-lot cooler, yet can't turn worth a darn.  The shock system works quite well though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 11:09:10 am by Indigo »