AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 1  (Read 403247 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread [Nudity]

Reply #1090 on: August 21, 2007, 10:50:00 pm
Generally speaking, on most people in a relaxed pose, the wrist is above the bottom of the crotch (disregarding genitalia), on both men and women.  I've not found any real humans or any anatomy guidelines or diagrams that disagree with this.  Are there exceptions?  Probably.  Are they exceptions?  Yes.  Some people have enormous heads, or tiny hands.  But if you draw your people that way, they're going to look like they have enormous heads, or tiny hands, and people will probably go "wow look at that huge head," or, alternatively "whoa those hands look small."  Not talking about this piece in particular, as it is just a fashion guid, but I feel like this discussion has drifted away from that piece and toward anatomy guidelines in general anyways.  There's a separate issue here about expectations about perfect proportions in any/all characters...but there is also a legitimate issue about the amount of deviation that is acceptable in the proportions of a healthy human!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1091 on: August 21, 2007, 10:59:44 pm
Ignore the fact that you just said my whole family was strange :P I'm just going to reiterate - this drawing looks BAD but that doesn't make the proportions impossible.  I'm not going to say (and haven't ever said) "from now on I'm going to draw all of my people awkwardly imperfect," because you're all right, that's crippling.  You've essentially restated what has always been my position since before posting the piece.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #1092 on: August 22, 2007, 12:08:59 am
Not to worry Adarias, according to the relative position of my wrist to my body, I'm strange too. :P

I think the proportions on this are a bit closer to normal.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #1093 on: August 22, 2007, 03:56:40 am
god, this thread makes me feel like the worst artist ever. XD
well, anyways, here's an unfinished piece of two characters from my book.
http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07342/amezora.jpg

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1094 on: August 22, 2007, 04:26:46 am
Hmm, i think there must be variation in this.

Of course there is. But this is akin to the old 'I ment it to be like that, I didn't make a mistake!' rollback stance when someone gets critique. That arm, according to most idealized anatomy guides, is long. When someone told you, you said that you weren't paying attention because this is a costume illo, which we both know is not a good practise anyway. But then you went and defended that there are people with longish arms, and therefore this is fine. Well you can draw whatever you like even if it doesn't exist in real life and it'll be fine. It's only in relation to the idealised anatomy guide that this is wrong, and the unsaid premise is that you have not yet mastered drawing from the idealised anatomy guide and therefore would do well to manage this before you break out the long-arm variations. You may have an anatomical fault, the tendency to draw humans with longer arms than ideal, and you should pay attention to this rather than justify it thinly (even if thin is thick).

Add in the slope of the shoulders and the arm is a fine length.

The slope of the shoulder and some minute foreshortening due to perspective would help yes, but still too long as far as I can tell!

As far as my point goes, you are working from estimation and speculation, where I am working from measurements, which only proves my point that it looks broken when it's not.

One could work from the measurements of a dwarf, but if they didn't intend to draw a dwarf, or if people didn't understand they were drawing a dwarf but a human instead and found the anatomy odd, would there be a similar issue? When you drew this, you weren't working from measurements, you were working without any. After the fact, you now present that your arms are indeed that long (okay) but that doesn't change that this picture wasn't introduced within any context of having been drawn to mirror your physique or any extraordinary physique for that matter. Even for skinny fashion models, that arm is long!

Use proper measurements to show it's not correct and I'll change my opinion

Proper measurements of a human being you mean? alright

Note that as I said, I have long arms.

but just stating things that aren't true about all wrists doesn't convince of anything

Do you need convincing that the customary ideal human anatomy grid places hands? Okay. This is on my wall:

(note that this is not even a relaxed position of the arm. This is full extend, both of the upper arm and the fingers.

(are you measuring from the end of the genitals and not the actual crotch? certainly those are lower, but this girl has no penis).

W...what? Then these girls I've been with were...

uh

um.

I'm measuring from the end of the crotch, regardless of package.

My wrist hangs at this level, therefor a wrist can possibly hang at this level.
Your wrist hangs at that level, therefor all wrists must hang at that level.

Which sounds more accurate?

Correction:

Your wrists measures thusly.
Ideal anatomy wrists usually measure thusly.
Without pretext, you present an image that measures as your wrists measure (take a relaxed arms stance photo by the way)
and then you are surprised when people complain that it doesn't measure like ideal wrists measure.

Another great example I must come back to - look at that recent one you did with the head that is just too narrow (or too tall for itself, but it's the same sort of thing)

You are not taking into account lens distortion, perspective foreshortening and most of all, the pulled hair that on both of the RL pics obstruct the real shape of the face. I have a long face.

This is the same phenomenon played in reverse, the eye wants it to be right but it's broken.  And you made a great point, it's your own face, so you should know how it ought to look!  I'm realizing here that vision and art are just plain silly this way and it's damnably hard to correct for it.

But even-so, you've not established that you were drawing yourself here (whereas I clearly was). You were drawing a thin man-girl for a video-game. It's good to keep your premises consistent.

Just to be safe, i wish to restate that I think the arm look bad and always have since scanning.  My point isn't that people should draw arms this way, it's that perception is highly varied and not always correct.

I am fine with this point, as long as you're fine with the point that this arm is overlong in relation to the idealized construction of the human body. Or if you're not we can discuss that more, but these are two separate issues. Anyway, Helm out.

edit: for what it's worth, the biggest mistake in that sketch isn't the length of the arm but the placement of the knee

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:39:33 am by Helm »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1095 on: August 22, 2007, 04:33:17 am
alright, so the issue was your ideal vs my possible.  Misunderstanding on my part :P

Nobody else drew anything today?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #1096 on: August 22, 2007, 04:35:03 am
lmao nope, too busy reading :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1097 on: August 22, 2007, 04:40:33 am
No if your wrist falls below your crotch I'd really like to see some photos. Also some of these 'women without penis' you were talking about  :-[

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1098 on: August 22, 2007, 04:47:42 am
does anyone know how to get a nokia phone to send pictures to an email account?  We are most certainly of very different proportions (I actually know that my torso is short, when I sit down I am rather low regardless of posture yet I always need to back the seat up in my car after my sister of literally the same height in inches (according to the doctors) has driven it....[/ot]

as for women without penises, i just moved to The Village and might have trouble........

BTW put those two photos of yourself over each other, sliding opacity back and forth, and (forgetting about size and placement of features, which is also very very different) tell me your skull isn't wider, particularly on the mid-line, with much more space between and to the side of the eyes..  (actually, if you do, I'll know that you're not measuring right :P, i'd upload but the file is too large)

PS I hope this is the only time in my life I am kept awake in the middle of the night thinking about the face of a man at least half my age my senior.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 05:37:28 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1099 on: August 22, 2007, 06:23:52 am
Actually as I didn't measure anything but used a photo for eyeballing, there's bound to be errors in sizes etc, but preserving the anima of the piece was the main priority.

Keep thinking of me.  :-*