AuthorTopic: Terrain tiles  (Read 12310 times)

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Re: Terrain tiles

Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 11:43:38 pm
Thats probably what's going to get on my nerves the most, is making border tiles, especially with grass involved. :P

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 11:44:41 pm
Looks pretty good so far, though I do think where the tiles meet it looks a bit weird. Try to make it look a little smoother (the tiling) and as mentioned add one or two more grass tiles for variation.

I think the colors could use some work because as of now they look a bit bland. Kind of look like just a straight green. I would suggest added a bit of blue/purple to your darkest shade and maybe a bit of yellow to your highlight. I always try to aim a bit more towards a yellow-green for grass than just a straight green. Hope that helps  :)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 01:00:44 am
a nice improvement snippa, it still doesnt tile too well and I dont think you'll really need more grass tiles to break up the repetition, since your grass tiles details are blades of grass it wont be too hard to hide the grid.

and the colours, at the moment there looks like a bit too much contrast and saturation to me, plus I changed the colours away from the.. 'default' green you used:

I thought it looked kinda cool, and I could easily picture main characters running round on it

keep it up :y:
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 02:15:19 am
Thanks,  editted it a little bit and made a second grass tile, I personally prefer the darker colors, just my taste I guess.
I put the tileset into Sphere to get a bit of a better look at them together, easier than copy & pasting them into a new image...

the left patch has a random mixture of both tiles, the right patch is just the first tile.
still need to work on the dirt :P
I really think adding the second tile helps it out quite a bit.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 02:31:08 am
 The tiles are ok. Make sure you always use low contrast on grass tiles. Lower contrast just makes it flat. Having it flat helps to keep it look more grass. I'd say, just make a mockup with your tiles. We can crit this much easier   by that. Good luck.

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 02:36:39 am
Yeah tone the grass down a bit =) Today in class I was working on some grass tiles and ran into same problem haha. Honestly you don't need high contrast/flashy rich colors on any ground tiles as it distracts from what's ON them!

TakaM's colors should give you a solid guideline. Also look over Adarias screenshots, and see how the dark grass usually looks worse then lighter one.

But aside from that looking good! Only problem to shape is if you stare at it you can see diagonal lines, which are formed by too much dark green in some areas, but lightening the colors will remove that as well hopefully!

[Edit] Figured might as well throw in the tiles here, maybe it'll help.

One made in class:

One made a few seconds ago (Pallete inspired by/kinda copied from TakaM and Adarias), a play on the original.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:48:52 am by Androk »
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 03:42:21 am
Thought about it a bit and realized that I was using the darkest yellow-green colors I had... wouldn't be to good for shadows, so I lightened the grass up a bit, not as dull as you guys may think it should be, but im trying to work with somewhat limited colors. (I'm using between 6 - 10 shades for each color I want to use in my game):

Here's what I have at the moment, still working on the dirt :P

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 04:27:09 am
In my opinion (and it could very well be personal preference) you've got too much verticalness in your grass tiles.

I'm hopeless when it comes to dirt tiles, I'd suggest lookin' at how Adarias manages to make them look interesting, rather than the drab brown-with-rocks we seemed to try :)

Myeah. Not as high quality as the other resources, but perhaps it will help you, somehow. Yes, yes, I'm too lazy to just cut it down to grass tiles.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 07:54:49 am
So, after screwing around with my dirt tile for a while, i decided to do some looking around at dirt in other games (ultima online, diablo 2, world of warcraft, and some others)
...In my quest to find some decent looking dirt that I could slightly emulate, I journied to Hillsbrad Foothills in World of Warcraft (seeing as how the dirt I wanted to make pretty much has the same dark color as the dirt found there)...

ANYWAYS... while I was studying the boring dirt there, I noticed the grass as well, which seemed to look fairly decent.. So I decided to take another shot at making a grass tile, with a totally new approach... let me know what you guys think.

(I've taken a small poll from some friends & the few I've asked seem to like the other 2 grass tiles i made better... o.O)
Here's what I showed them & asked them which they thought looked more like grass:

/sigh

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 01:31:31 pm
I like the middle one better actually. Also, why are you using that horrible palette? It gives you a range of totally useless colours to work with...