AuthorTopic: Need Advice please  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Re: Need Advice please

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 08:48:37 am
Oh, I really like this stuff. It's fun to read about the thoughts you had while designing this. I bet this is going to be very cool.. :)
I'm not a fan of horror games or films. But as an amateur, I think your designs come out very unique. Keep up your high effort, it's worth it.

There is something about your sprites that is wrong. It's called pillow shading, and it is in every single picture. As you didn't make this failure in your other topic with this hatred guy (http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=21530.msg180349#new), I think this was just inexperience, wasn't it? ;)
Pillow shading is something you have to avoid. It makes your sprites look flat. The prison guy is strongly influenced by it. The light source for the ball on the chain seems to be in the upper left, but thats where the shoulder has its darkest part.

I marked the pillow shading on the other pictures. Thanks to the colours, it is well hidden. But it is there.

Start with the soul eater. It already has it's own light source on its back. Why not use this? I bet this will look awesome.

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:19:13 pm
Dude, thanks!

That was a major thing that i wasn't aware of...First i wasn't able to make the light/shade work, but as you say, that is clearly a pattern that i have frequently. I really appreciate your clarification about this, it's something very hard for me overall cause i'm new with the pixel art and thinking about the fact that i want to make characters that comes up from negative feelings, and concepts i always try to use dark colors or limit myself to give shadow more protagonism than light, thinking about making things darker, not brighter.

Any advice into how can i work "pillow shading"? I gonna be aware of it from now on. I'm currently working on these 2 sprites, gathering all the info that you've been giving me lately, i greatly appreciate it. Thanks, RunenSucher! ;D
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 02:15:52 pm
Mhhh...
This isn't easy, as i don't know how you work. Let me guess: You do add the lighter colour first.
Please try this:
- Give your monster the form you want. Dont use any other colour than the first one.
- Think about your light source. It's easier to do so, if it is the sun or a hanging lamp. Then you shade the lower parts. Like the tummy of the soul eater or the legs of scythe monster. Shade skin folds, joints, ribs.
(- Take the next darker colour of your ramp to add more details. This step isn't needed in every sprite. Your scythe monster for example, doesn't need a fourth colour.)
- Now your sprites should look like 3D. If not, don't add any brighter colour. Work at them until everything looks "realistic".
- The last step is highlighting. Don't overuse your brightest colour. Just add it where the skin is hitten by the light directly.

I hope this works for you. You can read something about lighting here: http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-4-shadow-and-light

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 05:28:54 pm
You're completely right. I always start by putting the lighter colours and then i put the darker ones,gonna change that as soon as possible.

I've been watching some of Glauber Kotaki speedpaints and some of his work with Duelyst,and he has very interesting works on shade that i want to apply in some way.

For example i like this Happy void worm, light gives him an evil sensation.

-Due to my job i have little time , but as soon as i can, i'm gonna put effort on what you say. Thanks again Mister Runensalchicha!
Praise the sun \[T]/