AuthorTopic: Unofficial Iso Collab 4  (Read 45915 times)

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Unofficial Iso Collab 4

on: October 11, 2006, 01:12:17 am
Hi there. I really like the Iso Collab 3 that has been worked on here. It rocks! I really wanted to join in, but since it's almost done I wanted to start another one now.

The template below was thrown together by me. Credit to RobAlan - the isometric blocks were pretty much copied and pasted from RobAlan's original template into a new arrangement. The rules below are also taken directly from RobAlan's thread:

For those of you who don't know the rules, they are as follows:
1. Each person may make one tile, or set of connected, similarly-colored tiles at a time.  For example, you could reserve a single tile, like 75, or you could reserve a block of tiles like {79-88-89} or {21-30-36-44-43} or "That yellow chunk with 35 in it".  Keep in mind that blocks of tiles must be touching along a side and of the same color.  Also, if you do not want to do the entirety of a large block, but want to put tiles in that area, that's fine too.  The block rule is completely optional.
2. Ideally, new tiles should connect to pre-existing tiles, but this rule can be stretched if deemed appropriate.
3. Please announce what tiles you are planning to do.  I will attempt to keep this post updated with the newest version, and mark spaces that are currently in progress.
4. Please try to use colors from tiles that have already been made, so as to attempt to make some semblance of unity in the collaboration.
5. Don't be afraid to break the iso grid.
6. Be creative, and overall, have fun!

I hope this post isn't in the wrong forum or that making this kind of collaboration isn't against the rules. I'm not sure where to begin, so... anyone want to start?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:35:49 pm by dreamisle »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Unofficial Iso Collab 4

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 01:40:55 am
err.. ok yeah where do I start?

This is the wrong section for a challenge, needs to be in 'Challenges and Activities' section.

It's kinda odd picking the exact same idea, as I don't think anyone would be as up to it as they were with the first. Thinking up something much more original would maybe get people willing to join in.

They've just finished the other grid (well almost), and I think it's too soon for a whole new one. It's like commin to the end of an epic story, and havin to re-wind it to the begginin cus one person wasn't watchin.  :huh:

Proceed with this by all means but I personally would just think 'ahh well' and wait for something else to come along.. Enter another challenge, or if ya just like Iso, fill a smaller one in yourself...  :)

Goodluck with this anyway.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 01:45:11 am
You should probably move this to the 'challenges and activities' forum.

Btw I'll take tiles 10-23-33 :)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 01:52:42 am
i think its a bit too soon for this to have the same momentum as the one we've almost finished, and guys you cant simply make a topic in the challenges section, a mod has to move it there :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:55:05 am
This is the wrong section for a challenge, needs to be in 'Challenges and Activities' section.

I think only staff members can start topics in that forum because the 'New Topic' button didn't show up, but I saw a post about grid based collabs in this forum so I thought it would fit. My apologies.

As for starting my own miniature isometric project, I had been working on some small rooms like the one currently in my avatar, but I kind of wanted to start something bigger. I didn't see it so much as rewinding to the beginning of an epic story - I saw it as the much anticipated sequel. I guess I was wrong. Sorry :( I tend to do a lot of stupid things like this without thinking.

Cave: If you still want to do those tiles, I'll continue the project. Otherwise maybe Terley and TakaM are right and I should shelf it for a few months.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:56:29 am
This is a good idea, but I'd recommend waiting a bit.  There was a lot of enthusiasm for the other one right as it started, but it has waned.  I'm not sure Pixelation is ready for another Iso Collab yet.  Also, you should make sure you're ready to keep an Iso Collab organized.  The one that is just finishing nearly drove me crazy a couple of times.  That and you might want to wait a week or two to start it anyway because of other things going on behind the scenes...

Also also, holy crap at some of the chunks you managed to create.  {41-35-27-19-28-37-29-20-8-5-9-22-32} caught my eye especially, though {55-56-61-70-85-89-93-95-96-88-87-84} is a close second.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:02:33 am by robalan »
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:10:09 am
Im not sure what's considered advertising here but, on another forum I started something similar (smaller). Some parts aren't as good as others but we're doin well  :)

It's over at forum.tip.it in the Gallery section if you just can't wait.. It's over half way complete, but some parts seriously need fixing, plus there's definately a palette clash (it'd get too confusing as most people there are only beginners.)

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3669/progress2id3.png

Just a bit of fun  :crazy:
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 02:29:50 am
Shelf it if you want, keep my reservation please, I'll look foward to it ^_^

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 03:21:56 am
I think 1, 2, and 3 should be orange, unless you meant to make as big a chunk as it turned out to be.

When this kicks off, I'd like to reserve 12 - 24.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:33:06 am
1 2 3 and 4, please.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)