AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 204787 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TEN VIDEOS!

Reply #140 on: December 05, 2006, 12:35:51 am
Cosmigo Pro Motion

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #141 on: December 07, 2006, 11:59:34 am
I'm totally sold with pro motion. <downloads the helm mockup>

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #142 on: December 10, 2006, 05:20:22 am
Because pkmays was molesting me via pm I made a quick video doing a quake texture.
Be warned, this will be extrfemely confusing if you don't know ProMotion and it might even be if you do.

VIDEO - ~33 megs
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 05:23:06 am by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: ELEVEN VIDEOS!

Reply #143 on: December 10, 2006, 06:19:14 pm
Downloading video. I enjoy these textures and I think you should try your hand at some no-nonsense (meaning, not claiming to be 100% HANDPIXELLED LOL I AM FROM THE AMIGASCENE) index painting and document your results for us.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #144 on: December 10, 2006, 06:58:12 pm
I might, but not anytime soon prolly :B

What is really funny about that texture is the amount of thinking about the subject that went on in my head.... about zero.
When I showed it to a friend he said, "what's with the castle thing" and I was "castle?? oh, haha, I was just drawing some shape that looked good to me."

:P

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #145 on: December 11, 2006, 02:18:09 am
I watched your Robot one Helm, really fun to see it evolve :D
This is a great idea, and I hope to have a video up on it some time.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #146 on: December 11, 2006, 03:22:10 am

Thanks braugh. I'm gonna screw around with the Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM palettes now.

[edit]

Watched this a couple of times thru now, and I'm really impressed. I must say of all the videos I've seen so far, this one has taught me the most about cool unknown PM gizmos. I'll be replicating this workflow and posting a breakdown of the steps taken.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 04:58:49 am by pkmays »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #147 on: December 11, 2006, 08:06:33 am
Glad you liked it pk. A lot of it is dow to me using Promotion since almost 2 years now virtually daily at work. I would say that i have around 4000 hours in Promotion so far no problem.

I think I will attempt some proper index painting soon, with the plan to make a video as well, but that will take quite a bit longer, as it will involve more pixelling towards the end of the workflow and it might get quite massive. MIght have to go 8x speed or something :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #148 on: December 11, 2006, 01:20:53 pm

Index painted. Sadly didn't video. Very fast to make art like that, it has its merits and its deficiencies. This, with a layer of pixel-by-pixel work is how demoscene people worked, I guess. Dirty tools make everything too blurry, you have to go in and fix stuff by hand always. Otherwise, it's an interesting thing to try.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #149 on: December 11, 2006, 11:47:06 pm
Because pkmays was molesting me via pm I made a quick video doing a quake texture.
Be warned, this will be extrfemely confusing if you don't know ProMotion and it might even be if you do.

VIDEO - ~33 megs
Cool, the only thing I don't understand is how you have 4  images in one document.
One Is the stencil, One is the spare frame, One is the current frame. Where's the 4th come from?
For the kind of video you did, it really needs a little keyboard status display, because you do a lot of things with the keyboard that are 'invisible' from the point of view of the video.
I don't really understand why you painted over the same thing many times.. Only the last few times actually seemed to *partially* apply paint (doesn't ProMotion have a way to floodfill the paintable area using the current paint mode?). It looked like you got a bit flustered actually.
I'm gonna go through the video again and note the stuff that I could use (like multiple grid settings; and is the stencil automatically refreshed based on the content of a particular frame? I know color-stencils (ie. protected colors) are possible, but I couldn't tell if what you did was as permanent as that, or would just last until the next time you manually edited the stencil mask.)

EDIT: actually, with the amount you used blur, it really should wrap around edges. That'd have to be an option. Know if it's going to be in the upcoming version of PM?
Or a way to offset by w/2, h/2 would also work around it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:57:56 pm by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.