AuthorTopic: Minimal platformer  (Read 1990 times)

Offline KB90

• View Profile

Minimal platformer

on: October 03, 2016, 06:59:36 am
Level

Protagonist

End result

What you think of the overall look? Any tips?

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Re: Minimal platformer

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:19:42 am
I think it would work. Have you tried out different hues for the background? There might be something more fitting than plain black.

I think some blocks should be more recognizeable, so the player knows what they are supposed to be. Like stone, or riveted metal. Maybe even some multi-tile graphics with cabled and wires spanning over seveal blocks, that sort of thing.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:25:06 pm
The size-mixing looks weird to me, and the player feels too small for those bricks.
I'm also not getting a "minimal" vibe from this. Minimalism is usually about reducing things to their bare essentials, but this has a lot of non-critical details. In fact, it has so much detail that I am having a hard time discerning the gameplay meaning of a lot of it - what can the player stand on? What hurts them? What can they climb? None of that is very clear.

Offline KB90

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 10:22:11 pm
Hey, thanks for replay. It is good idea to change something in background.
eishiya, I think size mixing gives unique look, yes player seems a little bit too small, but I will be able to change in later after some testing.
Yes maybe I used word "minimalist" in wrong way. Player can stand on everything greenish, and those little blueish cubes that go in vertical rows are ladders, blue thing is portal. There will be more details later.