AuthorTopic: Need alot of help with skull (WIP)  (Read 4212 times)

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Need alot of help with skull (WIP)

on: September 30, 2016, 05:19:43 am
Basically im trying to improve my pixel art by creating whatever comes into mind, this time it was a skull.. i tried drawing one and leveling all of the features and copying the best i could but it still seems to look bad.. i dont know whether its my color choices or just poor decision making that has resulted in this abysmal piece. Im open to constructive criticism and even better versions if you guys have the time ofcoarse  :)

I think i cant get the skulls expression nor can i properly trace out the shape. Im also having a hard time making the teeth look less geometric and more natural. I really need your guyses help. How should i begin to make a skull? Is there anything that makes you think "WTF IS THIS" if so please tell me. Thank you.

Reference piece:

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Re: Need alot of help with skull (WIP)

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:08:57 am
I found a way to properly recreate the skull as pixel art but the thing is i dont know how vaild it feels because i literally just onion skinned it and traced over it and recolored it. SOMEONE HAAALP.. i dont even know if this is copyrightable

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:55:58 am
Tracing is a nice way to get the hang of shadows. Instead of worrying about whether you can call this your own, why not only use it for practice to understand the lighting in the original image, and then do the finished piece from scratch?
Plenty of artists use tricks like this as learning aids, and it only becomes a problem if you A. pass it off as completely your own work, or B. use it as a crutch instead of learning from it.

Offline Bollie

• Learning the ropes of pixel art!
    • @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:06:41 pm
You should pay more attention to the shadows and how they can show the form of the object. Also, your skull looks noisy, try using less single pixels.
Here is my edit  ;)

P.S. There is no need to scale up your image, pixelation has an inbuilt feature for that (Click!)!

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:20:33 pm
Oh my lord.... every time i see an edit i just want to cry.

EDIT:

I tried to make it look more like yours bollie but somehow it still seems retarded xd how do you get such a good shape and idea on what to do, like the way you added the lighting and different colors?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:46:59 pm by fxokz »

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:06:24 pm

To begin with, you would be better off using a real skull as reference, such as this one:
(big image)

In regards to the shading, attempt to imagine the shape of the skull in 3D ;this should be easier with reference as opposed to without, too.

A way you could go about imagining this rather complex shape is by subdividing it into simpler shapes; such as a sphere for the braincase, two planes for the nasal bone, a cut in half cone for the sunken area of the zygomatic, etc. (picture 3).
This way you could approximate as to where shadows are cast and where light is shone, and also at that, to what extent.
However, keep in mind that these are merely simplifications to help you imagine the way it looks like better geometrically to a basic level, and do only so much in terms of imitating the actual shapes they represent; so don't solely rely on it.

For instance, the braincase isn't exactly a sphere, or even oval for that matter. This is particularly evident when you look at the area behind the frontal zygomatic process (the column shaped bone to the side of the eye socket), where you notice a depression.

In terms of colour, the problem is that the second lightest colour is too light in comparison to the rest of the palette, I'd suggest to tone it down a notch (picture 1 & 2). Also, it wouldn't hurt to add a couple more colours to the mix.

As a side note. It'd be better if you used a more neutral colour for your background, and not something so extreme as pitch black. The rule I go by is if I'm planning to draw a bright object, the background colour will fluctuate to dark (so dark grey for example), whereas if I want to draw a dark object, the background colour will shift more towards light (light grey for example).
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 02:02:32 am
Im not going to lie, at this point i definitely feel as if my skull is getting worse. I tried implementing all of your advice/feedback and i got this  ???

Offline Bollie

• @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 05:05:34 am
It's getting better! The only thing is, now you can't really see the teeth on the upper jaw

Offline fxokz

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 06:09:08 am

this is my final edit of the skull before im going to leave it as it is. i made the teeth more visible

Offline Bollie

• @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 06:23:13 am
Great job   ;D