AuthorTopic: Fabric Practice  (Read 1700 times)

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Fabric Practice

on: September 17, 2016, 01:39:51 am
Am trying to practice making a fabric texture, can't seem to get it looking good...

Mine is on the right; reference I was using on the left
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Fabric Practice

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:34 am
Don't base yours so closely off the reference. Use it less as a Do-This and more as a Do-Like-This.
Try some other shapes, like spheres or pyramids! You're not making any notable errors besides a bad fold continuity on the left side, the whole fabric seems to be going straight down from the shape yet is lumpy and jutting out from the contour of your shading here. That, the off-balance amount of material, and the colour choices make it look less like fabric and more like a petrified tree stump or a rock!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 04:10:58 am
Don't base yours so closely off the reference. Use it less as a Do-This and more as a Do-Like-This.
Try some other shapes, like spheres or pyramids! You're not making any notable errors besides a bad fold continuity on the left side, the whole fabric seems to be going straight down from the shape yet is lumpy and jutting out from the contour of your shading here. That, the off-balance amount of material, and the colour choices make it look less like fabric and more like a petrified tree stump or a rock!

Thanks and you are referring to dark on the left side?

I believe the reference is supposed to be cloth draped over a solid cylinder at angle (full reference posted below—as all of the materials are cylinders).

Tried a quick edit and changed shaped—supposed to be cloth draped over a point where the highlights combine.

Before you replied I had already tried to apply this to the tent I'm working on:

Full reference image:

Let me know if you have any links to similar references—pulled this off pinterest and quality destroyed it

Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 01:27:14 pm
Instead of using other people's art as reference, try using the real thing as reference. Your biggest problems right now are that you don't have a sense for how fabric tends to work, so you need to look at fabric. Looking at other people's art is best for learning their techniques (e.g. how they AA, the kinds of lines they use, etc), not for learning how real life works.