AuthorTopic: Drill Brute (c+c)  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Prototyke

• View Profile

Drill Brute (c+c)

on: September 15, 2016, 04:53:30 pm
I have done pixel art for quite a while and stumbled across this forum a while ago. I have been lurking for quite some time, but I decided to post for some c&c with this guy I just finished.

The main problem is the lighting. The light sources are the bulbs on his shoulder. I think I did the lighting pretty well, but could definitely be improved.

Also, I know the pose isn't the most dramatic, but with a fellow this heavy, he probably wouldn't be posturing very often anyway.

Any advice would be welcome.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Drill Brute (c+c)

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:04:43 pm

tried to fix up some of the lighting
put in reflections and him and on the metal parts - complimentary to the lightsource
tried to smoothen out the shine and increase the contrast to make them seem more powerfull

turned him a bit more sidewards
added a bit of perspective, by moving the front shoulder up and the rear shoulder down

also adjusted the pose a bit

I don't think the drills are connected in a realistic way with the arm and I don't think that metal underwear like this would work. But those are just observations, i didn't change any of it to keep it true to your concept.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:27:26 pm
The posture looks fine to me. Heavy guys stand just like this, trust me.

The nubs on the drills are a going to be a difficult spot to try to cram too much information into a small amount of pixels. But, on his left hand drill there is no light reflecting on to the nubs.

Something else to consider is the ambient light of this man's surroundings to help show which material is which. Cyagmou's edit does a good job of showing this.

;)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Prototyke

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:45:34 pm

New                   Old

I don't think the drills are connected in a realistic way with the arm and I don't think that metal underwear like this would work. But those are just observations, i didn't change any of it to keep it true to your concept.
Thank you Cyangmou for the edit. It looks fantastic. Really helpful. I had actually tried using a green on the metal and disliked it, but it worked well on the body, so I used a green for the body and blued up the metal. Another reason I had the posture with the arm down is because the drills are attached directly below the elbow. He would have to lift his entire arm further up to straighten the drill. They don't look realistically attached if it is supposed to move its arm at an angle like in your edit, but I hadn't said any of that, so there was no way to know.
Also, referring to it as metal underwear is an accurate description of what it looks like on second glance. I was not intending that. I think I was planning on having more components and that would be hooked to something, but couldn't get it to look right. So now I just replaced them with non-metal clothing. I made them pink at first just because, but I actually liked the splash of color, so I left them.

Rydin, I tried to give the "nubs" highlights on both drills. It looks better, maybe not good, but better. I tried to take the advice about ambient light, but I left out the bright blue reflection that Cyangmou had on the drill and shorts. With shoulder lights, he is probably the only light source around, and reflections off of dirt would have milder reflections. I think the darker tones still let it have some ambient reflections. Hopefully good enough.

Better?

Edit: I fixed it up a bit more and replace the new image.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:42:28 pm by Prototyke »