AuthorTopic: [C+C, WIP] Tileset, need your opinion and input  (Read 11486 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [C+C, WIP] Tileset, need your opinion and input

Reply #40 on: September 19, 2016, 06:44:35 pm
I think it's much more trunk-like now! The form is much clearer and it looks round, and you've even got a nice twist to it near the bottom. It would look even better with a bit more contrast between the three browns, and maybe some more hue-shifting.
It looks a bit noisy to me still, though. At this scale, the bark texture is essentially noise, so I think you might be better off not depicting it, and instead focusing on the larger shapes, like the twist of the trunk, burrs, etc. If you prefer the noisy look, then I think you should avoid having the single-pixel highlights right next to the darkest brown, as it reads more like sharply jutting features (thorns?) than just bark texture. That's a good technique for something like a cactus or a studded mace, but doesn't look quite right on this tree.
A visual illustration of what I mean by it looking like it juts out too much:

The bottom sketches represent the apparent size of the bump represented by the different levels of contrast.
The left and middle sketches represent a mild bump like what you'd expect to find in the texture of a tree trunk, the right/high-contrast bump doesn't feel as natural for a trunk texture.

Also, the roots don't seem to go into the ground, they appear to end abruptly. That is probably because of the shadow/outline on the tops. Try not having the very tips shaded, it should look more like they smoothly enter the ground.

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: September 19, 2016, 07:16:40 pm
So I fixed those cactus like bumps, it does make sense to get rid of it but some times it just feels like a right thing in a few spots here and there..
Regarding noise, I quite like it and I think I'll stick to what pleases me on this metter> Its just that I feel like with no noise the ammount of texture on the tree would be too small for the ammount of texture on the grass... Any how..
Removed the shaded botoms of the roots which does make sense, as they feel like they go down into the earth, thogh looks a bit funky here and there..

ALSO ONE MORE THING (EDIT) : It really really feels that the tree is soo soo flat on that grass, should I make grass isometric? or maybe retexture it? make it a bit more high(if you know what I mean)?

Also NOTE: All the pictures in the post are gone (my bad) I cleaned up imgur and didn't think about them at that moment so yeah, unless there is some clever way to restore them - they are gone and I have only few to replace them (which I will do)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:25:04 pm by SlimEddie »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #42 on: September 19, 2016, 11:53:50 pm
I think once you pixel the foliage on the tree it'll look fine. However, you may want to lower the middle of the tree's crown. As-is, it doesn't look like we've viewing it from above like the grass, it's a side-view.