AuthorTopic: New Here!  (Read 7084 times)

Offline Stephie

• View Profile
    • [ Parrot Pixels ]

New Here!

on: October 07, 2006, 09:30:17 pm
Hello!  I love pixelling so much, and when I found this forum I had to join.  Normally I post on cute-pixellish BBS's, where there are younger girl members.  Here the people seem older. ^^;;  I'm not nearly as talented as alot of the artists here, but I hope I can get better from your tips! 

Anyway, My name is Stephie and I'm 15 years old.  I love making pixel art because it reminds me of the old videogames I used to play and love so much when I was younger.  My style is heavily influenenced by the Korean style of pixelart, with dark outlines, lots of highlights, few colours, and bright colours.  Sometimes I like using softer, pastel colours.  It just depends on what I'm doing I guess. ^^;;

Anyway, my website is http://www.electropow.com/steph if you want to see some of my work and give me tips or comments right off the bat.  I'll try to post more examples here when I can upload them, or even find them on my computer. @_@  Yeah, alot of my work is lost in the depths of my hard drive.   

Thanks, and I look forward to this forum!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 11:57:31 pm by ptoing »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: New Here!

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:49:13 pm
I suggest you explore other styles. Doll art can only improve you so much, just like game art can only improve you so much, just like background art can only improve you so much, and so on and so forth. If you've done all the graphics for your website then i'm impressed, but I think it's easiest for us to focus on one piece you want improving when you are working on it so maybe when you start another doll you can post it here as well and we will try to help ^_^.

Welcome!
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 12:01:20 am
Welcome from me too, I agree with with what Akira said. Just post something new when you have made it directly so we can focus on criting that.
I also took the freedom to edit the colours and fontsize of your post, because it hurt my eyes  :-[
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 12:03:51 am
Wouldnt it be great if we could edit everything that hurt us?

Gah, the suns in my eyes... No need for that.

Broken bone? Uncalled for.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 04:38:12 am
Hey, honestly... too much pink -.-' (On the website). Hope you art isn't as neon.
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline jkilla

• 'the owl watches intently!'
    • View Profile
    • day of madness game!

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 04:48:55 am
i would have to agree that there is way too much pink it just hurts my eyes :'(
!!!my sweet game DAY OF MADNESS!!! PLAY IT NOW!

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 07:20:01 am
You think Shaun of the Dead is only 4 out of 5 stars! Gasp.
But then again, you love the retro games, and that's respect enough.

Welcome and have fun, your website hurt my eyes, but that didn't stop me browsing.  ;)

Offline government.agent

• The LCD is the retina of the mind's eye
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:53:58 am
Stephie--welcome to Pixelation!

As you can see, a number of comments have been made about the pinkness of your site. :) Well, I happen to like pink very much and I like the HYPER-CUTE style you've adopted in your design.

Having said that, I'd like to offer you some helpful tips since you asked for advice. To illustrate my point, I'd like you to look up at the top of this page, you'll find the Pixelation logo. You'll see that the first half of the word is colored off-white on a dark bluish-gray background. You'll see that the letters of the last half are a very dark (approaching black) charcoal color on a gradient of lighter hues.

Are you with me so far, Stephie?

It's very easy to read, isn't it? And that's not just because of the largeness of the type face. You will find that dark letters on a light background are the easiest to read. You will also find the opposite to be true--light characters on a dark background are also easy to read.

In both cases, it is the contrast between characters and background that make for good document design--therefore, it's a good rule to follow when designing a website that you want people to visit and revisit. I think it might be a good idea to think about that while you look over your site.

You'll find that there is a low amount of contrast in your graphics. That makes it very difficult to read--which is why people are saying it hurts their eyes. Still with me? The way I see it, you really have two options. Darken the pink to an ultra-dark fuschia, or darken the background until that pink shows up. Either way, hon, you need more contrast.

Let me know if this tip was helpful at all, and reply back with more questions!

Again, welcome.

At your service,
GA

Offline Bo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:33:20 pm
Your website hurt my eyes to...But i gotta say i love it :D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 06:03:24 pm
the pink wouldnt bother me so much if i could read anything you wrote.  for some reason, possibly display settings, it all looks like a jumble to me.
welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay here :D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.