AuthorTopic: Failed Paladin  (Read 5304 times)

Offline Bollie

• Learning the ropes of pixel art!
    • @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Failed Paladin

on: September 01, 2016, 05:11:39 pm
For Pixel Dailies, with the theme paladin, i drew this guy

I got really frustrated and the result was kinda meh. My pixel art in general looks very bobbly and wierd, i don't know why, and i don't like it. Any critique or tips would be great ;D

Offline had0c

• View Profile

Re: Failed Paladin

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:57:17 pm
some thing's . you need to use more contrast in your pictures or your picture will look bland. also when you pick colors dont just use a lighter color of the blue / green / red what ever you used. try adding other colors to it as well. a good tip is that you make the pice in black and white first then add the colors. you will better understand contrast if you do it like that. here is 2 examples . left one is your right one i just added a bit more contrast to it here is an other example . what you must think about as well is to add a light source and not pillow shade. right now the pice have no set light source and has shadows / lights all over the place.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 07:33:17 pm
It seems very short compared to the width.  Almost like a child is inside.  And the helm seems too big as well.  I suspect that's why it feels bobbly.

Offline Bollie

• @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 04:34:07 am
some thing's . you need to use more contrast in your pictures or your picture will look bland. also when you pick colors dont just use a lighter color of the blue / green / red what ever you used. try adding other colors to it as well. a good tip is that you make the pice in black and white first then add the colors. you will better understand contrast if you do it like that. here is 2 examples . left one is your right one i just added a bit more contrast to it here is an other example . what you must think about as well is to add a light source and not pillow shade. right now the pice have no set light source and has shadows / lights all over the place.

I was not trying to pillow shade, i'm just really bad at shading, cause i never know where to put them, so it doesn't look flat.  :( Any tips on that, before i start fixing the paladin?

jun

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 05:33:19 am

I was not trying to pillow shade, i'm just really bad at shading, cause i never know where to put them, so it doesn't look flat.  :( Any tips on that, before i start fixing the paladin?

Shading isn't a mythical technique!
Relax.

I think you should look at still life, simple forms (Cubes, cylinders, spheres) and see how light from different angles scatters and diffuses on them. Analyze, observe! SEE! THINK! How the light falls on them, how it bounces, how the angle affects the specular highlights, how the shadow falls, you know the drill now! 
(Google Sketchup is a cool fun little software where you can just make random stuff and see how light falls on them, same with Blender, or hey, just use google images!)

Then you can then apply those observations to anything. Yes, ANYTHING. All objects and be broken down to simple forms, and you can work out how light will look on them from different angles.
It's just about sitting down, analyzing, practicing!

Good luck :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:40:22 am by jun »

jun

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 06:10:35 am
Also, some thoughts :

I loved the colors and the cartoony style of it. Good job man. Needs more SWOOSH!

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:34:04 am
Definitely recommend following jun's advice, some thoughts on shading and colors:

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 10:08:34 am
Messed around with the shading and contrast a bit.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:24:44 am by fingas10 »

Offline Bollie

• @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 04:28:33 pm
Thank you all for the great advice! I added more contrast and worked on the shading, i fixed the proportions, made the head smaller and added more SWOOSH!  ;D

What do you think now?

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 04:42:29 pm
I think it looks good!

...not sure about a Paladin using a pitchfork though, hehe
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.