AuthorTopic: [WIP]Office Art  (Read 9032 times)

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Re: [WIP]Office Art

Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 03:35:14 pm
There are tiles with and without spaces, some have spaces that are lighter in colour. So, whether you have visible spaces or not depends on the look you want. My main reason for recommending not having them is because they create unnecessary visual noise. If you keep the tiles flat (no shading) and don't have outlines, the characters and other foreground objects will stand out much better against them.

That makes complete sense...maybe I have a unknown, secret love for floor tiles because I like them detailed.  I didn't remove the shading but altered the outline/grout (original, light grout, removed):

The light one I definitely chose too bright of a color to replace the grout with but probably won't choose that anyway.  I do kind of like the outlines removed—looks a little smoother.  But can't decide right now so will stare at these images for hours and come to a decision in a couple of months...
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 09:30:48 pm
I feel like you picked each colour in a vacuum instead of relating it to other colours in the image. If you want a new color, instead of thinking "Oh, I need a green. Let's pick this green, sure why not?" take an existing colour you already have and hue/saturation shift it to become a green that matches it to an extent.

I did some colour swapping to make the image more harmonious. I've always liked this palette tutorial, which illustrates the concept of going from one colour to another.

I snagged the original image from the link to the html site, so apologies for the large scale. It didn't seem to play nice when I was resizing it in photochop.

Eriophora Zia

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 12:30:59 pm
I feel like you picked each colour in a vacuum instead of relating it to other colours in the image. If you want a new color, instead of thinking "Oh, I need a green. Let's pick this green, sure why not?" take an existing colour you already have and hue/saturation shift it to become a green that matches it to an extent.

I did some colour swapping to make the image more harmonious. I've always liked this palette tutorial, which illustrates the concept of going from one colour to another.

That is exactly what happened as this is all new to me.  Thanks for the tutorial link.  I've been looking to learn about color choice lately so if anyone else can link additional resources it would be much appreciated.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 11:25:15 pm

So this is what I came up with for my first attempt to follow that tutorial:

Any critiques?  Not sure if I'm doing it correctly

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 11:25:20 pm
Okay, so I tried to make a color palette and apply it to this image (or parts of it).  I don't think I like it better but after experimentation I understand how it can flow better (not necessarily captured here, but in the process):

My next goal is to learn how to build a palette large enough but the colors still flow.  I know on the point is to not use too many colors, but I would still need a decent amount for a full game, correct?  32 colors a good target?  Anyone know how many Earthbound (SNES) used?  Can I just steal theirs? lol