AuthorTopic: [WIP & C+C] Ragged Knight  (Read 2796 times)

Offline timetempered

• View Profile

[WIP & C+C] Ragged Knight

on: August 16, 2016, 09:27:48 am
Hi! I've been working on a knight sprite for a while, but I've been struggling with shading, especially with the cloak. Dithering is a bit new to me, and I'm not sure how to use it in this situation. The light source is the top right, but I haven't completed all shading yet. Also, not sure how to make all of the armor pieces look more like armor and less like gray blocks.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Re: [WIP & C+C] Ragged Knight

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:00 am
I just did a quick paint-over.

The character is very interesting, and the pose conveys a lot of weight. The biggest issue though, seems to be inconsistency in lighting. I just went back in and reapplied your colors according to the light source you stated. I only worked on the fabric.

I don't have time to comment much more right now, but someone more knowledgeable than I will probably see this later.

Hope that helped :)

Offline timetempered

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:29:02 pm
Thanks a ton! That looks much better. I guess my main problem really was the light source. But I'd also like to add more folds, if possible- to try and show the wind better. When I did it, they just looked like wrinkles instead of parts of a flowing whole.

Offline timetempered

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:58:47 pm
Updated w/ Dreadnaught's changes, and added dithering and spear point.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:59:28 am

Looking good, the axe head needs refinement still however. Looks waaay too simplistically drawn now compared to the rest of the sprite
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 03:02:28 am

It looks like you worked ontop of dread's edit. Which doesn't help you learn anything and not what edits are for. Also i wouldn't be dithering on this scale. It looks like noise and your update looks worse then dread's edit considering that you worked ontop of his.

Look at what he was trying to tell you about lighting and light sources on fabric.

Try looking at photos of the Tuscan Raiders from starwars episode 1 for real life examples of how cloth like that falls.

EDIT: I hope i didn't discourage you from continuing! I'm looking forward to where this was going.  :(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:27:02 am by heyy13 »

Offline timetempered

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 06:50:29 am
You've got a point, heyy13. I appreciate the honest criticism. But I'm just looking for the best final product at the moment, and I'm pretty sure I understand what dread did just by looking at it (darkening areas to indicate folds, light source, etc.). The dithering was a personal touch, but I reduced it to some degree, while trying to keep the style. I also added to the halberd, but it isn't shaded yet. My final concerns are the eye and the halberd itself- I'm not sure how to show the eye gleaming, and I might end up setting the halberd on fire, or at least add embers. Any advice on that? I included an idea on the right, the one on the left is the current version.
Sorry for the wait.