AuthorTopic: Anatomy/Posing Practice Ft. BIG  (Read 15870 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Anatomy/Posing Practice

Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 06:54:35 am
Left leg is thicker than right leg. Try to fix that. Before you use designdoll more try to base your work more off photos, designdoll can't achieve the same level and is best used more as a quick visual aid rather than a full reference if you can find better material through google.

Tweaked it a bit, though it's minor.  I cleaned up the shading a bit, made the leg size consistent, and toyed with the standing leg. 

As for the DesignDoll, I'll try to look at some real photos, but I'm still going to be using it for the more out there poses, such as this one. I've got a sort of "series" of things I want to try touching on, and part of if is communicating a certain look that I feel won't be super common. 

This pose was made with the intent of portraying a far weaker thing that what I've been doing.  Shading, shape, and overall look is the most important, and the black with gray outlines is the main look I plan on going with for the aforementioned series, so I want that to look best, but I still want to see how it goes with other colors.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:33:26 am
Left leg is thicker than right leg. Try to fix that. Before you use designdoll more try to base your work more off photos, designdoll can't achieve the same level and is best used more as a quick visual aid rather than a full reference if you can find better material through google.

Tweaked it a bit, though it's minor.  I cleaned up the shading a bit, made the leg size consistent, and toyed with the standing leg. 

As for the DesignDoll, I'll try to look at some real photos, but I'm still going to be using it for the more out there poses, such as this one. I've got a sort of "series" of things I want to try touching on, and part of if is communicating a certain look that I feel won't be super common. 

This pose was made with the intent of portraying a far weaker thing that what I've been doing.  Shading, shape, and overall look is the most important, and the black with gray outlines is the main look I plan on going with for the aforementioned series, so I want that to look best, but I still want to see how it goes with other colors.
Aye. Like I said, when you can.
If you want a good recommendation, investing in a camera and a few friends willing to pose for you goes a long way.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 11:13:43 pm

To Do List: Get a bunch of people to do an in depth playthrough of Silent Hill 2 to help explain that I promise I'm not creepy when I ask to pose them in very suggestive/morbid ways.

Alternatively:  Don't make sprites of creatures meant to be sick remnants of sinners that represent the negative aspects of the Seven Deadly Sins as they suffer in Hell because it helps with anatomy.

Yeah, the series of sprites would be a little on the macabre side for me to ask that kind of thing for people.  The "Husks" as I plan on making them ascribe to the, "The Nurse's head was originally supposed to explode like a burst condom," philosophy, i.e. very unsettling, creepy, and in the case of the Lust above, pretty sexual.

I'll take a look at some reference photos, but I think they'll be relegated to happy people in swimsuits and not something that belongs in Dante's Inferno...

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 09:58:08 pm

More picture reference.  I used this image from Tumblr: http://doctoromalley.tumblr.com/post/148777606793/anatoref-more-how-to-draw-manga-vol-4 (First picture, bottom middle), along with, "Man raising arm," references on Google, mostly for the sake of stomach shading. 

I'm pleased with it, but for some reason the clothed version looks a bit feminine and I don't know if that's just me.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 11:23:19 pm

More picture reference.  I used this image from Tumblr: http://doctoromalley.tumblr.com/post/148777606793/anatoref-more-how-to-draw-manga-vol-4 (First picture, bottom middle), along with, "Man raising arm," references on Google, mostly for the sake of stomach shading. 

I'm pleased with it, but for some reason the clothed version looks a bit feminine and I don't know if that's just me.
It's not, he's got pretty wide hips here. Gives him kind of a distinctly womanly appearance.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 04:25:00 am

That was definitely it, thanks.

Also added some alternate looks for the other characters with stuff they'd wear and how their hair changes depending on mood.  Mostly just to not make this just a basic upload with a minor fix, but also more shading and design.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 09:23:22 pm

Well, I've been busier than I thought this week... 

First set is the series of Husks, the short version again being Seven Deadly Sin punishment personifications.  There's another version planned with more traits based on varying motifs to keep them from being nothing but black silhouettes, but shape is important before flowering them up.  While some are definitely a bit abnormal, their proportions should be consistent sprite to sprite, assuming I did it right. The fourth one is supposed to look kind of twisted, so the upper body IS supposed to look at least somewhat like it does.

Second is more practice with color, anatomy, and this time perspective.  I used a GIF from Durarara's Shizuo Heiwajima throwing a pole as reference, as I've had the image of very forcefully throwing something like he does for a while. 

Last is an attempt at a crystal, though I based it heavily on a sprite of a rock.  I like it, but I feel it's clearly a blue rock and not a crystal.  What does this have to do with this topic?  Who knows.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 09:28:29 pm

Second is more practice with color, anatomy, and this time perspective.  I used a GIF from Durarara's Shizuo Heiwajima throwing a pole as reference, as I've had the image of very forcefully throwing something like he does for a while. 
I actually really like this one, but it feels less like him getting ready to throw it and more him gearing up to smash something with the big black bar. Durarara is a great show to study for force though.
if he were throwing it I'd have his arm further back to better leverage it like a spear, with his hands as they are they don't really lend well to throwing motions.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:30:26 pm by MysteryMeat »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 04:01:44 am

Brought the arm back a bit. 

Also finished working on these, showing their "full" versions, for lack of a better term.  In the context of the story, the Husks are, in addition to their body/position/overall look being symbolic of their defining sin, associated with motifs that I gave that sin.  The ideas are mostly built off of either the punishments of the different levels of Hell/Purgatorio from Dante's Inferno, the Princes of Hell, and also off of related themes.
Hopefully, what I was going for on them was clear, but here are the short versions of the themes/body language as reference for what they're supposed to be.
Lusts have exaggerated hips/bust/pelvises, are covered in flowers, spew fire out of random but suspiciously placed holes, and in this case is outright in a BDSM arm binder.  Tend to be in very provocative positions, splayed out or otherwise showing off what would otherwise be features associated with lust.
Sloths are weighed down by metallic cylinders/spheres, and are covered in sick machines and pistons.  Can't stop moving as punishment, but have to carry their varying weights, so they usually trudge along.
Greeds have multiple elongated arms, abnormal eye/s, are covered in gems, and have open stomachs that consumed gold falls out of.  They're constantly moving, hopping around and poking at the ground for loose desirables.
Wraths are large, twisted, bulky, are blinded by acrid smoke, and are both covered and skewered by blades, occasionally replacing limbs.  Jacob's Ladder twitch their way around, attacking anything close by, leading to a hostile look at all times.
Gluttonys have large mouths, have insectoid traits like buglike legs and large eyes, and are incredibly skinny with horns, based on the Wendigo myth.  Because I'm sick of pigs, Gluttonys are voracious hunters, always feasting on anything nearby at high speeds.  Some have wings, but all are constantly skittering.
Envys are physically small, have glowing green eyes, have fishlike traits (Though not super represented here), and are pierced by broken mirror shards.  They're always miming, "Don't look at me!" and in positions denoting that.
Prides retain their original human bodies, but with their hair and eyes exaggerated color wise, and are covered/chained/bursting with crystals of varying sizes and colors.  Their positions revolve around forcibly humbling them, like being forced to their knees in a bow.

TL;DR, Silent Hill.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 01:38:43 am

Trying to work on faces and wound up with this.  I like the shape, but I feel like it can be a lot cleaner, and the shading definitely needs work before I try making other ones.