AuthorTopic: Walk Cycle Help?  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Walk Cycle Help?

on: October 04, 2006, 10:23:47 pm
A few months ago I thought I'd try my hand at animating a human (although a stylised cartoon) walk cycle. I decided to do a pixel version as, well, I just didn't have to guts to try a full on drawn animation, heheh. Only maybe the second go at animation I've done, so I've still loads to learn.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the movement of his limbs on the whole, apart from he seems to limp a teeny bit where I haven't quite got the 1st and last frames smoothed out yet. Buut, I'm having a lot of problems with the head, whatever I've tried I can't get the movement to look natural, so he's stuck with a boring static head at the moment.

So any help would be very much appreciated, as I'm dead stuck at the moment.

WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Walk Cycle Help?

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:01:35 pm
Get rid of the horizontal movement on the head, it's too snappy...

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:05:30 pm
http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml
someone brought this up recently. it might help you.

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:21:15 pm
Gil: thanks for pointing that out, just editing and it looks a lot better all ready.

legofreak: That tutorial was actually the basis of this little animation test  :) Very helpful on the limbs and all, but due to the small scale of the pixel work I'm finding it hard to get the head to move accordingly. Also the lack of any turn in the head bothers me, my brain's there going 'should be there', though I'm not sure at this size. And that tutorial, as good as it is, doesn't help a lot with the aspect of the head

I'm just currently hoping that if I keep messing with stuff I'll work out what's wrong eventually.

Right, edited version:

Personally I think it's an improvement, but it still looks odd to me  :-\
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:30:45 pm by Weasel »
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:03:14 am
I think it looks odd because of the horizontal movement.  See, there is only one extra horizontal 1pixel movement forward for every two steps, making the way he walks asymmetrical.  Remember that unless you're giving him a limp or something, his body movement should be the same except with his legs doing different things.  So make his head move horizontally forward for each step he takes, or not at all.  I'd prefer the latter, it's more realistic.

I think this is coming along very nicely, though.

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 01:35:38 pm
Ack, sorry for the delay in replying, college has been manic.

Darien: I -think- I get what you mean, I'll be making an edit shortly, hopefully I've not got the wrong idea :P

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 05:30:20 pm
Ergh, it's a conspiricy I say. Again, sorry for  basically blanking the thread, not my intention at all. So much rubbish going on at the moment.

Annyway, on the subject of the animation, I'm completely stuck, I tried and edit and failed miserably. Anyone willing to attempt and edit to help the idoit out?