AuthorTopic: [C+C] Character bases for an RPG  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Ninety

• NinetyHere
    • View Profile

[C+C] Character bases for an RPG

on: August 08, 2016, 12:59:17 pm
Hello. First post here, sorry if I've made any errors (also I apologise in advance for the large number of images). I've gotten a lot of useful advice lurking here, so I'm hoping the community will be able to give me some advice. Tear into me, please!

I'm working on the art for a farming RPG inspired by Harvest Moon. Naturally this means a large cast of NPCs, but having not really worked much on characters before, I've been making simple bases to practice animation before I sprite the final versions.

I'm not too worried about character design right now, as I said these are more bases than anything else, but animation is not my strong suit and this is my first time attempting an animation project of this size, so I would really appreciate feedback. Specifically, I'd like suggestions on how to improve the limb movement (which feels awkward to me) and the overall "fluidity"/cohesion of the animation.

For reference, I'm going for a more realistically proportioned look than most RPGs, something maybe along the lines of Secret of Mana or Friends of Mineral Town.

Standing versions:

Walking:

Any critique appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Character bases for an RPG

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 02:04:03 pm
The female body looks too similar to the male imo.

Offline Tori

• Hi! I'm Tori!
    • Eduuuh13
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/107950.htm
    • eduAoliveira7
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 04:48:02 pm
The female body looks too similar to the male imo.

I agree.

Try to make it more girlish, girls tend to walk with legs closers, and she is to walking too virile, like the man:

I also think her arms are swinging too hard, but first I think you could just change the legs to something more feminine. Or maybe change just the arms, maybe changing them resolve the problem of her manliness.

---

I've made a quick edit for you:

To me it's more girlish. I don't think that there's need to change the arms.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:58:35 pm by Tori »

Offline Ninety

• NinetyHere
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:07:55 am
Regarding female characters: I did try using transparency to imply a more curved form as per Curly's edit. However, I wasn't entirely happy with the result as it seemed to emphasise the shoulders too much, so I think that would need fixing. I'd also like to avoid transparent patches in the sprite in general, in the interests of conserving form across different backgrounds, although I think now I may need to revisit this.

I did a few non-animated mockups earlier to work out how characters might look in game. You can see a slimmer, more feminine character on the left. Is this an improvement on the body type on the right? I'm thinking a few different body types might be needed, especially to distinguish well-built females from more petite ones.

Regarding the male sprite in particular, how do you think the animation itself looks? I feel like the side view in particular is a little too blobby in the legs, and I'm concerned I don't have enough torso movement/rotation. Then again I don't want to go for something too dramatic considering the NPCs will be moving at a relatively slow speed, and of course player character run animations will be coming later and I want to distinguish them. Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback so far, it really is helpful.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:03:40 pm
On the topic of that last post, I'd actually say keep both of those on hand! The girl on the right gives me a sort of burly tomboy impression, while the left one gives me a more standard girly one. Both look like the same character though, might be worth trying to slim the limbs down on the left one some to make it more distinct?

As for the walk cycles, the legs look fine but I'm noting that the hips aren't really moving along with them. It makes the legs look like they're only swiveling along one axis, when walking is really kind of a gyrational movement. Study yourself taking steps from various angles and in different strides, you'll sort of see what I mean.

As for differing the males from females, I'd say you're honestly doing fine there. I can tell between them at a glance, and that's without any more defining characteristics like different hairstyles or clothing choices to push that envelope further.
Try some different outfits on them to see if it still looks weird to you, as it is they're both in pretty androgynous outfits (red tee and bluejeans) which, to me, often tends to bias slightly male mentally speaking.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |