AuthorTopic: My Western Palette Adventures  (Read 7775 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: My Western Palette Adventures

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 08:45:26 am
You realise your 32 colour palette image has 81 colours in it?

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 06:50:33 pm
Clearly not, and also doing that at 1 in the morning also had me miscounting to 34 anyway XD
I forgot I needed to leave 4 spots open, not 2.
But anyway I'd imagine it's the grid (and all the overwritten copy+paste) that accounts for the extra colors.  I'll clean it up.  Sorry about that  ???

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 07:28:38 pm
Okay, ran it through Grafx2... says there's 33 colors but I think it's counting black or something.  Anyway, here it is:

Palette swaps on game screens coming once I figure it out, thanks for the tips earlier

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 08:05:13 pm
Remaps!  I managed to figure it out in Grafx2 (Thanks DawnBringer!) but couldn't figure it out in Aseprite.  If anybody has more detailed instructions to automatically remap in that I'd love it.

Anyway, originals first, then my remaps...

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 08:15:36 pm
One more...

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 09:21:11 pm
Okay, so my analysis so far...

- My browns look pretty dusty and nice, which I like
- My reds, oranges, and yellows are not popping as much as I'd hoped, so I'm going to boost their saturation and brightness a bit
- I need probably at least one more green and blue...

I'm going to do some tweaks and we'll see.  I may end up bumping up to 48 or 64.
Anybody else have comments or suggestions at colors to look at?

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 06:14:44 am
Update: 64 colors!  Yes, I've still been working at it... Lemme know what you guys and gals think!! :)

I took some inspiration from Arne and DB as well as syosa's palette work.  Closest colors according to DBtools are 5.20 apart.

Here's the analysis:

Some auto-swaps (original before, mine after):

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:54 am
Is this intended to be a general purpose palette or for a specific project? If it's for a specific project why are you going about it backwards? If you want a palette for specific art you create it for that specific art as you develop it.

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 08:26:38 pm
Is this intended to be a general purpose palette or for a specific project? If it's for a specific project why are you going about it backwards? If you want a palette for specific art you create it for that specific art as you develop it.

I started as a specific project palette, but then started working towards something a little more general purpose.  Mainly I'm trying to improve my understanding of colors.  I'm not an artist, so when I'm working on art assets I like to have a roadmap ahead of me.  I can get a little paralyzed not knowing what colors I should be using and knowing that I'm likely to have to rework a vast amount of assets isn't really appealing to me while I'm also designing and programming.  So I like the idea of making a sort of "general purpose" palette from which I can make my games from.

Offline ttk

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 08:24:15 am
Whew, heck of a day!  Did a lot of revising and reworking, and finally got to a palette that I'm feeling pretty happy with!

Here it is:

For inspiration I decided to take the 10 colors that make up the title screen from the original Legend of Zelda, which was the game that made me want to be a game designer when I was little.

Here's the analysis.

I did quite a few swaps and they all are looking pretty good!  I won't flood this post with images, but here's the classic CT shot:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:32:46 am by ttk »