AuthorTopic: [WIP] The game starts to grow  (Read 12872 times)

Offline LMM

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Head for gamesprite

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 08:26:30 pm
I am working on the body now, thought, that it was not easy to do the head... but the body is realy hard to build with pixelart (got a lot to learn about it). It is not ready but suggestiones and comments and critic is very very welcome.

The game is supposed to take place in the Lovecraftuniverse.

- the trousers need some more shadow near the outline (sorry for the bad english, hope you know what i mean)
- the frills need more shadow an structure, also the shirt

After that I will do the jacket and the shoes.. but first I got to do homework now :/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 08:38:39 pm by LMM »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 08:51:20 pm
Just a quick thing, his body is leaning to the right (from my point of view) in a way that it looks like he's about to fall over.

Otherwise, I'd say I'm crazy impressed with you and your style. You've got talent, dammit. Lotsalotsa. :D
' _ '

Offline LMM

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 09:02:42 pm
Now when you say it... you are right.. think i will give him a cane to lean on^^. I am happy you like my work but when i look at some other artwork here in the forum i could cry because some of them are... incredible... it will be a long way to get even half as good (but i think a detailed adventuregame is a good project to practice^^)

Offline LMM

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 12:01:03 am

Done:
- the trousers need some more shadow near the outline (sorry for the bad english, hope you know what i mean)
- the frills need more shadow an structure, also the shirt

tomorrow shoes and jacket will follow and the i will fit the animation to the body...
then the ral works start.. the animation of the body *shudder*

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 12:05:51 am
a good way to check if your image hsa a lean on it is to do a horizontal flip. the flipped image will be something you aren't used to seeing so it can help with seeing errors. Does that make sense? i'm a bit tired :P
nice work on rendering the face and pants. i'm assuming the rest is incomplete so uhh... continue!
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 10:22:28 am
OT: are you making this adventure game in AGS? This character is huge! Will you animate him walking around in all 4 or 8 directions? it will be so much pain for you. Not to say you can't do it, just you know... I've worked in ags and i've made my share of games and I know the workload. Prepare for pain.

I love the pants, rendering style reminds me of Darkseed to a degree.

Offline LMM

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 04:54:46 pm
I fear i want to use animation for 8 directions (128 frames in total looks good, have tried it with a rendered char... 128 frames is muuuuuuuch work, i know :) ) and i know about the pain... but i have no timelimit... If it takes me 5 years to have a little 3 to 4 screen adventure done, than it takes me 5 years^^).

I use the Sphere-Engine and did allot of coding work to make an adventuregame-engine out of it (and there is much more to do... planned some nice effects never have been used before *g*).
The main reasons for this decision is, that it has no graphical limits (even 1024x768 is no problem... and now, when i tried the char with body, it looks like i will use this resolution...). And there is only very little hard coded stuff aaaaand, i can do commercial games without paying any licence-fees. I dont know if i will ever went commercial but i want to have this option without to pay much for it.

If the last point would not be important, i would use the wintermute-engine

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 04:57:45 pm
I recommend AGS for everybody but people who want 1024x resolutions. So you are right to use something else. Good luck.

Offline LMM

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 09:38:59 pm
Now have done everything but the shoes. Here i havent used the blended steps for the headanimation and that shows, that i should do use them in the game. (there eventually two per movement or three).
That could also be a way to reduce the walkingsprites.

The head should be 1 or two pixels lower and some images (sideviews) need some adjustment to the left btw. to the right.... i have to work with the hair on the shoulders, but i will not do that before the walkingsprites.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:42:53 pm by LMM »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 10:07:20 pm
The beard grows suddenly for full-left and rull-right frames. Otherwise, wonderful. I'd really be interested to see the animations in-game with the frame fades. It's an interesting effect. Good work so far. The jacket could use some folds at the joints of the arms and whatnot.