AuthorTopic: [C+C] Another low-res RPG character  (Read 2183 times)

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

[C+C] Another low-res RPG character

on: July 12, 2016, 06:41:57 pm
Hey everyone,
just because it's nowhere near Christmas I decided to have a bash at making a pretty standard top-down RPG based character. Obviously there are hundreds in the world, but you can't beat trying out something new:

I wondered if I could possibly get some feedback on how things 'generally' look, be it anatomy or key placement of eyes, etc. At this stage I'm just tinkering with various types and quite enjoyed where this one was going so thought I'd follow it up.

Anything you can give me would be massively appreciated.

And, as always, stay classy.

Cheers

Offline Goldoche

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Another low-res RPG character

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:32:28 am
I'm a beginner myself but it looks good at a glance.

Maybe I'd remove some of the more subtle variations in color. There's a slightly more orange pixel on the top right of the 3rd drawing in the hair that you barely notice and adds nothing.

Offline Lord_Ginzao

• yo yo pix pix !!!!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:23:25 am
To me it simple and direct but I would make the rest with more face expression.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 06:42:23 am
It's pretty simple, which isn't exactly a bad thing.  However, with something so simple, it has no reason to have more than a few colors.  There doesn't need to be more than two colors for anything, so the shirt, the hair, and the skin, etc. should only be a single color or two at most.  I'd also brighten up the colors so things pop more, because at the moment her clothes look like they're kind of the same thing when zoomed in.

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 07:59:41 am
Hey guys, thanks very much for your comments! I see what you mean about there being too much complexity in colour where it doesn't really fit. If I remember correctly sprites like Sonic for example only ever had like three colours at most, and that worked a treat.

To be perfectly honest I didn't get the colour ramp quite right, revisiting that will likely clear up a few things. I'll also have a dabble at adding some different expressions, that should bring a bit of soul to the character as Lord_Ginzao suggested. :)

Thanks again, massively appreciated.