AuthorTopic: Pixel Joint challenge entry [C+C]  (Read 2038 times)

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Pixel Joint challenge entry [C+C]

on: July 07, 2016, 03:02:56 am
Hi everyone,

So, I am doing the Pixel Joint challenge of the week, and I wanted some critique on my entry in-progress. The challenge is to create an original character and at least 2 alternate palettes or costumes for it. Here is what I have created:

So, a couple of things. First I want to eventually not make the variations just color, so for example, make the green robot made of plant material, but still follow the base. Second, I am using the nes palette so, yeah. Also, I don't want to use the same color twice for the different variations, but I will if I feel it looks better. All help is appreciated!

jun

Re: Pixel Joint challenge entry [C+C]

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 06:10:21 am
Have you decided to restrict the palette?
I'd appreciate if you can post the palette, too. (Aseprite NES palette doesn't seem to agree with your colors)

(I'll be working on an edit, and come back to this soon hopefully)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:16:46 am by jun »

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:32:58 am
So, apparently my nes palette was all messed up. So here is the robots, but with the actual nes palette.

jun

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:25:16 am
Hello dacsdragon, cool design!

Some thoughts.

(PS: I didn't know the sprite size limitations!)

(Not quite happy with the highlights, needs a lot of refining, but I hope it helps.)

Your colors look a bit too blown out, I'm being a little conservative with them.
As for the alt-designs, there's a million ways you can do them. Waiting to hear back so we can do more designs \o/ G'luck

And here's Draco's palette if anyone else is interested (NES-NTSC)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:40:56 am by jun »

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 11:16:26 pm
So here is the last version (probably)

So I tried to do different variations, and I am pretty happy with them. I tried to use more dynamic colors and hue shifts, and I like the way it looks. I probably won't be able to modify these before the challenge is over, but I still might modify these afterward, just for fun. I like the base that I originally made and I feel like I could get some good ideas from it and these.

@jun, I liked the way that your colors worked and the way that you modified the design, but it was in a different style than what I was going for. Thanks for the input on the colors, I feel like my blue and purple-ish ones were a bit dark, but I liked the extra variation. Thanks you!