AuthorTopic: Character project plz halp  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Character project plz halp

on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:50 pm

this is the concept of a character i want to make that is a robot with a human skull screwed onto its face and i want to give it a gritty falling apart look as if it was made out of computer parts and junk and i want it to be in pixel art but still realistic but i dont know were to start

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Character project plz halp

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:04:29 pm
Hi!

Interesting design.

Try looking at some games you like, and try to study how they represent details on the sprite. The handheld castlevania games occupy a nice realm of semi-realistic and gritty. They have a lot of monsters, so it may be a good place to start.

Come back with something to show, and we'll gladly help you. Unfortunately, there's not much anyone can do for you until you show some pixel art, we have no way to see where you're at.

As with any new artistic endeavor, it's best to just just take a dive, and not have any apprehension or fear about the outcome.

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:22:02 pm
my inspiration is are movies like elysium and chappie

(sorry it doesnt look great its a very rough draft)

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:58:28 pm
I changed my design to have the skull higher up and have the robots eyes be visible and I might give it a headdress made out of scrap metal (I don't have a concept to show at the moment but if anyone of you have any tips on color and shading metal/other materials in realistic ways and creating forms/shapes that appropriately use my resolution size please share :)