AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Slashing and Running  (Read 13354 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C][WIP] Slashing and Running

Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 07:04:17 am
No, not really. Try to tweak the motion trail, it's still following the same path as the previous one and it's confusing to the eye.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 12:43:28 pm
No, not really. Try to tweak the motion trail, it's still following the same path as the previous one and it's confusing to the eye.
I think I finally see it! I was trying for a long time to actually figure out what the problem was because I could not see it at all. The issue is that the arc of the second slash continues the arc of the first and makes it look like the Link sword spin, I gettcha! I tried to change it a bit in a couple of ways, do any of them help?

I thought that maybe an intermediate frame in the second slash was causing it so I took it out

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:43:03 pm by [Friends] Ro$$ »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:47 pm
I think I finally see it! I was trying for a long time to actually figure out what the problem was because I could not see it at all. The issue is that the arc of the second slash continues the arc of the first and makes it look like the Link sword spin, I gettcha! I tried to change it a bit in a couple of ways, do any of them help?

I thought that maybe an intermediate frame in the second slash was causing it so I took it out

EXCELLENT work! #2 & 3 fix the problem, though there's a slight judder between the frames you removed now I think it adds to it, makes swing 2 feel faster and more forceful! 10/10
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 02:21:27 am
EXCELLENT work! #2 & 3 fix the problem, though there's a slight judder between the frames you removed now I think it adds to it, makes swing 2 feel faster and more forceful! 10/10
Thanks  ;D! I thought a lot about what was causing the issue and I think it's that the slashes happen at the same speed so they look continuous. I think #2 is what I'm going to go with. I'm glad! They were quick mockups so I'll polish #2 when I get some time

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 07:04:31 pm
I think that you have two unnecessary frames at the beginning of first swing which make animation slower and take away the force of the swing.

Simple edit:

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 04:40:10 am
I think that you have two unnecessary frames at the beginning of first swing which make animation slower and take away the force of the swing.

That's a really good point! I tried to keep the animation a bit smoother by keeping in the frames and shortening their duration. Do you think it works, or should I remove them entirely?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:53:02 am by [Friends] Ro$$ »

Offline Tori

• Hi! I'm Tori!
    • Eduuuh13
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/107950.htm
    • eduAoliveira7
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 04:22:49 pm
Keep it! It's much better this way.  :)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 06:14:22 pm
Now you've made second step slower which also slowed down the action. It's all up to you and what you aim to get but I think that to suggest force, actions needs to be strong and short, recovery from action can and usually should be slower but action itself not. But don't get me wrong more frames make everything smooth and appealing so you need to find balance between number of frames and how fast actions should appear.

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 04:33:42 am
Keep it! It's much better this way.  :)
Thanks ;D
Now you've made second step slower which also slowed down the action. It's all up to you and what you aim to get but I think that to suggest force, actions needs to be strong and short, recovery from action can and usually should be slower but action itself not. But don't get me wrong more frames make everything smooth and appealing so you need to find balance between number of frames and how fast actions should appear.

That's a good point. I've done edited it a little to make his foot hit the ground faster. Does this fix it?
Yeah that tradeoff makes sense. I definitely see how I could end up just adding more and more frames because everything looks smoother without actually capturing the force of the actions I'm trying to portray.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:35:34 am by [Friends] Ro$$ »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 05:06:09 am

some simple adjustments to the timing can add a lot of tension and weight
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:38:10 pm by Tuna Unleashed »