AuthorTopic: [WIP][CC] Sushibar scene  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Ezuman

• View Profile

[WIP][CC] Sushibar scene

on: June 09, 2016, 02:54:31 pm
Hi everybody!

I've made some pixelart in the past (more than 10 years ago), but I've been picking it back up lately. Starting to get really into it and decided to recreate a scene of my trip to Tokyo. This is the real first big piece I've ever created and would really like to improve this.

I feel like I don't have the right color palette and the level of detail is all over the place. Also keeping the lighting in mind is super hard (it comes from the top left). Also any tips on sel-out would be great because it's still quiet hard to understand the mechanics of that. Another question I have is if I maybe started to big? Shall I use a smaller canvas and start over again and keep the details smaller?

Any critique, tips or help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :D

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][CC] Sushibar scene

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 11:50:55 am
I would definitely recommend starting smaller if you have no background to any kind of art, but if you're already adept in other forms of art (e.g. digital, traditional, painting etc.), you could definitely have an easier time in making bigger pieces.

As for the piece itself, it's actually pretty nice! The level of detail is not really the most important part of pixel art, I would definitely put readability above it. Cramming in too much detail can make a piece very noisy, and it hurts the readability. I would definitely recommend working on your cluster-work and colours. Learn hue-shifting, brightness and saturation.

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][CC] Sushibar scene

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 03:05:26 am
Are the plates in the upper right meant to be in the background? If so, I'd recommend desaturating them and making them contrast less with the wall. Right now, they draw as much attention as the two people eating, who are the real focus of the image.
Eriophora Zia