AuthorTopic: Hitting limits when making sketches  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Nagariku

• Nagariku
    • View Profile

Hitting limits when making sketches

on: June 05, 2016, 10:23:36 am
When I do both normal art (pencil/pen) and in pixel art I hit the limit very fast, meaning I can't really improve the project any more, for example here:

I feel like I can't improve this sprite much more, such as shading and potentially only make it worse. Will it get better as I do more pixel art?
New pixel artists can't even triforce

Offline DekuBub

• DekuBub
    • pixeljoint.com/p/101976.htm
    • Steamfist
    • View Profile

Re: Hitting limits when making sketches

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 03:21:27 pm
Hey there! That's a pretty nice lookin' strider sprite! When you're working in super duper low res like this it can be really difficult to portray small details with accuracy. One thing I'd recommend that might help your sprite read a little better is hue shifting, it's a method of selecting colors that can help immensely when you're preparing a palette for a piece or trying to unify/add depth to a scene. In my opinion, the lower the res, the more important your color decisions become. There are some nice tutorials for the method on DA and youtube you should check out. I like the way you've implied perspective in the lower body but I think shifting to a darker, slightly more saturated blue would be a better option than black to push the right leg back in space; same with parts of the scarf, the black pixels make the light source tough to read. The arm is throwing me off a little too, the motion effect on the bottom seems too saturated and the way it's angled makes it so I can't tell if it's supposed to be moving up or down. All in all though, I think this is a pretty cool piece, there are definitely a lot of areas you can improve on but it's instantly recognizable as Strider and I'm positive you'll be able to spot more things you want to change about your pixel work the more you practice. I'll attach a version with a couple edits so you can see the difference :)  Keep on keepin' on!