AuthorTopic: first walk cycle attempt [Nudity]  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

first walk cycle attempt [Nudity]

on: June 03, 2016, 01:04:44 am
Hi there,

First time posting on this forum, looking for some tips and hints on my walk cycle, and my style of pixelart.

I haven't been doing pixelart for very long, so i am unsure if i use AA/outlines right.

I know its not really nude, but i didnt wanne break any rules by not putting it there
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:26:22 am by Mathcong »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Re: first walk cycle attempt [Nudity]

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 10:54:58 am
it is looking quite good.
Good reference, old amiga game sprite "Gods"

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:11:04 pm
With an active walk like that, the torso should be turning. So, we should see a little bit of his far pec in some frames, and a bit of his back in some other frames. The sheet Koyot posted doesn't do this, but it can get away with it because the character's arm is gigantic and covers most of the torso, and by moving the position of the arm around, which gives the impression of a rotating torso. You should try that too, and if it's not enough, then animate the rotation of the torso "properly".

The lighting on his underwear looks like it sticks out from the body rather than just covering it. Why is there shading around all the edges?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:39:25 pm by eishiya »

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 03:24:58 pm
He's got a jiggly booty :D seriously, it would have been perfect if it was supposed to be a curvy afro american mama. I think though based on his muscular look that you might want to turn it down a notch.

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 12:56:03 am
With an active walk like that, the torso should be turning. So, we should see a little bit of his far pec in some frames, and a bit of his back in some other frames. The sheet Koyot posted doesn't do this, but it can get away with it because the character's arm is gigantic and covers most of the torso, and by moving the position of the arm around, which gives the impression of a rotating torso. You should try that too, and if it's not enough, then animate the rotation of the torso "properly".

The lighting on his underwear looks like it sticks out from the body rather than just covering it. Why is there shading around all the edges?

Thanks, i wouldve never thought about that, the shading around the body is supposed to be an outline, since i do all my pixelart with an outline around it. Is that wrong?

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:32:41 am
An outline is fine, the problem isn't the outline, but the shading.

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 08:49:15 pm
An outline is fine, the problem isn't the outline, but the shading.

could you be more specific please, because i really do want to improve my shading.

i tried to redo one the frames and focused on making my shading cleaner. Is this any better?

only did the torso so far (:

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 08:59:47 pm
Nice list of images that can be used as references.
Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/570198002803175429/

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 11:38:11 pm
redid the whole animation, hopefully with a better result (:

Original:

Updated:

Would love some feedback, thanks!

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 04:08:37 am
The torso turning is looking much better! There are odd shadows where the character's arm joins their torso and on the shoulder that probably shouldn't be there.
The head looks too far back. The character seems to be leaning forward a bit, but have their head very far back, it feels unnatural.

Also, sorry for not responding earlier, I hadn't noticed your reply! I meant that you had shadows hugging all the edges,which made your outline look very thick. Your new draft impvoes on this, but you still have some oddly positioned shadows e.g. around his underwear. Why is the underwear casting such a large shadow on the near-leg, for example? My guess is you're just doing some pillow-shading (shading around the edges of shapes without regard for the form you're trying to depict) without thinking about it :]

I'm not sure, but it feels like there's a frame missing in the new animation. The far-leg seems to snap to its front-most position, and the character looks like he has a bit of a limp because he seems to spend more time with his weight on the near-leg than the far-leg.