AuthorTopic: (WIP) Game graphics - ive got stuck :(  (Read 10786 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: (WIP) Game graphics - ive got stuck :(

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 04:43:52 pm
Save it as a gif and you can trim away the excessive colors, you might have to fix the palette afterwards though.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 09:19:32 am
better quality, mockup ;) Sharp edges.
I havent got too far, just few new animals.

and... small update.

Todays mod of palette
Oryginal 14 col:

Mod 16 col:

mod2 14 col:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:46:46 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Prism

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 09:34:25 pm
The shadows definitely help add depth, but the placement of them makes the clouds look too low. Even if the distance is stylized, they look like they're forty feet off of the ground instead of hundreds or thousands.

There are also moments where the shadows contradict the depth of your other objects, like this waterfall. The face that should be vertical looks flat because of the cloud's shadow.

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 12:42:03 am
The shadows definitely help add depth, but the placement of them makes the clouds look too low. Even if the distance is stylized, they look like they're forty feet off of the ground instead of hundreds or thousands.

There are also moments where the shadows contradict the depth of your other objects, like this waterfall. The face that should be vertical looks flat because of the cloud's shadow.

While I do agree about the flatness when it comes to shadows, keep in mind that these are supposed to be game graphics, and we need to take how he's supposed to program changing depths into a 2d game in consideration.

First thing I noticed were the clouds are too opaque, the cover up a lot of the other graphics and game elements.

Offline Prism

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 01:06:24 am
While the shadow probably can't cling to surfaces like it would in real life, instances like that do bring up the question of "is there another way to represent this depth?"
It's something to consider, at least.

I agree with you about the opacity.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 04:56:33 am
This is looking really great! I agree with the others regarding the clouds, they look too close to the ground. You might try lowering the position of the shadow (or raising the position of the cloud) so you see more of the shadow. You can also give pixels on the edge of the cloud shadow more transparent so can simulate a soft shadow.

I think the opacity of the clouds and them blocking game elements is fine if the clouds are scrolling. Right now though I think you have too many clouds but that's just my opinion.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 05:05:06 am
I think in a style this stylised, it would be easy to get away without the cloud-shadows at all. They don't really add anything, and the realism and atmosphere they could add isn't needed in this style.
I also agree about the opacity. Unless clouds hiding game elements is part of the gameplay, they should be translucent.

Offline Prism

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 05:15:10 pm
In a game engine, using parallax layers on them would give the appearance of depth without having to use shadows.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 07:20:36 am
Thanks for all replies, helps me a lot and gives me prof that it is worth to finish another non commercial/free game  ;)
Thanks a lot for all good words.

Those shadows helps me reduce palette and adds another few new colours in 15 colour palette.
I was thinking that best idea for those clouds would to add little shadow on the bottom to make them more contrast. Clouds would be moved in a diferent speed, Would be another layer, some sort of paralax.
Some mockups after few small changes.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:22:51 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 07:56:08 am
Early game demo, some new graphics. Still needs more stages and improvements. But most of things works  ;D New early plane cockpit.