AuthorTopic: [C+C] Grass and Dirt 48x48  (Read 1306 times)

Offline silver-silvera

• View Profile

[C+C] Grass and Dirt 48x48

on: May 20, 2016, 09:54:40 pm
Hello! Long time first time.

I am currently working on an RPGMaker game that uses 48x48 sized tiles.
After ~10 hours, I've finished what I want to be the primary grass and dirt tiles.

This is a 3x3 tile picture of that grass:

And of the dirt:

Hopefully someone here will have an opinion about how to improve these. There are three things I am concerned about mostly:
1. Do the tiles appear too "blocky/tiley"? I think they do but it could be from staring at it for so long.
2. Are they readable? Could you tell that you're looking at dirt and not sand? Is the contrast on the grass too much? Not enough? Is the grass too clumpy? Too busy?
3. What would be the best way to make a transition between the two? Do I just put a slightly darker 1/2 pixel ring of dirt alongside the grass?

If anyone has any other comments/criticisms/concerns that I haven't talked about feel free to share them.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Grass and Dirt 48x48

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:41:52 pm
Dirt very much looks like sand, I'd try to make it more of a desaturated brown than the beige-ish sand color it is now.
Like this:

As for grass, yeah that looks fine to me. You can see a few repeating textures if you look hard enough, but unless you stare at it for a couple minutes it's not terribly noticeable.
Might be wise to make some flavor tiles though, like a few with flowers or patches of bare dirt, that sorta thing.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |