AuthorTopic: Character Sprites (Posing/Color Practice)  (Read 9365 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Character Sprites (Posing/Color Practice)

Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 05:51:16 am

I fixed up the torso, arm, and leg a little bit, but I really don't care for how your head edit looks.  I gave mine a bit more of a jaw, but I don't like how stretched the face looks and how off the hair looks.  And I kept the position because that's what I was going for. 

And in other news, I redid an older sprite from a while back:
from
http://previews.123rf.com/images/auremar/auremar1205/auremar120501582/13561350-Woman-sitting-in-chair-Stock-Photo-legs-crossed-beautiful.jpg 

A few design updates later, I wound up with the two above.  The idea is that she's using magic to create the box and the thing off of her hand and sort of flourish. 

The left image has the character wearing black wrappings around her breasts, hands, and legs, a large pink sash, and white shorts.
The right has her wearing a black button up with a bow, white shorts, a stocking and shoes. 
The assymetry is because ~animeeeeee~, but also conveniently made differentiating the legs easier.

In addition to exploring outfits and hairstyles, I'm again wondering about anatomy and shading. I hopefully kept the proportions consistent with each other, but I'm still far from perfect.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 02:58:58 pm
Her front leg seems to be attached in the wrong place. Remember, there's a single bone from the hip to the knee, it shouldn't bend. If I'm mistaking the way the skirt falls for a bend in the leg, then that's still something to work on.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 05:13:39 am

So a bit more like that?  I shrunk the pants back to be more behind the leg like in the picture, hopefully making them looking a bit more natural.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 06:32:56 am
I think it might help a bunch to do some art studies on the pelvis and torso area, her leg's kind of popping off her there.
Here's a reference picture to work from in the same sort of pose.

As for anatomy stuff, try gesture drawing on websites like quickposes.com or just google image search some stock photos and try to emulate what you see as best as possible. Less clothing is better, as the point is to study the musculature and skeletal structure so you can better replicate it on your own.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 12:42:29 am
So that was totally my reference and I linked it when I posted :p.  I think it was also my reference for the original sprite I made almost a year ago, too.

Tried to better differentiate the legs from the pants by following the shapes of the legs a bit more.  It's the part touching the seat that's confusing me, but I think I got it a bit better here.

Predictably, Red should be next, and he conviently has a habit of tearing off his shirt.  I'll keep the less clothes in mind when I make one for him.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 10:09:05 pm

I've tried to fix her left leg, and messed with her right one as well. As far as I know the front of the upper leg is straight from hip to knee.
I suspect you haven't taken into account the different angle between your ref and the position the character takes. As a result her right upper leg is too short.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 05:56:48 am

Rounded out the pants a tiny bit, but otherwise I see what you fixed.

How do ab?

Torso shape and broadness I'm okay with, but I tried a few different ab looks and went for one that was less messy.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 12:15:46 am

Another remake, this time of a remake, and more practice with anatomy. I'm happy with how the clothes versions turned out, but I'm still uncertain on the body version.