AuthorTopic: I tried to make a sprite portrait. It's super bad.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

I apologize to anyone who has the displeasure of looking at this but, I'd like to know how I can make it better because it needs some serious work.

(Also don't submit edits pls. Ill end up just copying and pasting)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: I tried to make a sprite portrait. It's super bad.

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:35:09 am
Hey! What's your art experience and human drawing experience? A character like this requires a bit of knowledge on human anatomy. It'll require some study and a lot of practice to get decent at anatomy. Anyway, your character reminds me a lot of this PC fighting game (lol) called One Must Fall 2097. I suggest you look at it. The robots are made out of  simple angular geometric shapes.

In regards to how to make it better, I would say redraw the body giving specific masculine or feminine features. Broad shoulder, wide hips, big biceps, slender frame, etc. I think you've got the basic human proportions down. I think you need a more interesting robot shell or exoskeleton too. I'm not saying you need to go realistic but your art isn't working right now. Take a look at Star War: The Clone Wars cartoon for a stylized, simplified style.

Again, check out One Must Fall 2097. Not that it's the best game but some robots are pretty interesting looking. It's worth a look and it could inspire you! Good luck!

http://gallery.dpcdn.pl/imgc/Tools/68393/g_-_-x-_-_s_68393x20151124100305_0.jpg

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Re: I tried to make a sprite portrait. It's super bad.

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 01:08:55 pm
Thank you very much!