AuthorTopic: Sword Shading  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Sword Shading

on: April 23, 2016, 10:08:02 pm

Ok, so I'm trying to make a sword that can split in half and re-attach at the two hilts. Right now I'm trying to get the basic shading of the sword down. So, my question is: What colors I should use and where? (Also please don't submit edits, I need to do this on my own)

(P.S. Thank you for replying)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:10:19 pm by Capta1n_Henry »

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Re: Sword Shading

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:31:36 pm
Ok, so swords are tricky to shade. But the first thing you want to do is to try and figure out in your head what it would look like from different angles and how the sword is shaped. A good thing to keep in mind when designing a sword is that most swords are straight and taper off at the end, and swords also have to be balanced so that one end isnt heavier than the other. From what you have right now, the blades look much heavier than the hilt and it would be really hard to use. So think about that stuff. And for colors, try to think of what its made of, because a maroon sword is kind of weird, but you really can have it any color you want, as long it looks like metal or something. Also the grey outlines with the maroon sword doesnt look very good to me, i think its because the outline is lighter than the sword. I would suggest making the outline darker than the sword. Also, if the hilt is supposed to split off, you want to show some kind of mechanism or something like that to make it look like it splits, also if it splits vertically, you would probably want the handle to be a bit bigger than it is already, but i dont really know.

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 11:10:09 pm

Ok, I tapered it and also overhauled the design a bit. I also put a grey button on the hilt. So now what do I do? Do I do lighter shades of the red towards the center? Or do I add streaks of light along the blade

Offline Prism

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:03:26 am
Objects with noticeable edges or seams are affected by light in a fairly straightforward manner. Forms facing towards the light source are lit, forms facing away from the light source are in shade. This applies to the holes, too. I would suggest giving the holes beveled edges so the light hits them more clearly.

Other than that, yeah - choose a light source and have the near face be lit, and the opposite face be darker. Highlight the edge so the seam is visible.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:39:53 am by Prism »

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 01:40:33 am
Objects with noticeable edges or seams are affected by light in a fairly straightforward manner. Forms facing towards the light source are lit, forms facing away from the light source are in shade. This applies to the holes, too. I would suggest giving the holes beveled edges so the light hits them more clearly.

Is this good?

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 01:56:55 am
It's much better, but can be improved greatly.

As the next step, I'd recommend looking up images of real swords and trying to get the size of the blade and hilt right.

The hilt is too long right now, I feel.

Just do it. Then you can tweak it to make it split and stuff later.
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 02:28:20 am

Is this short enough?

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 12:45:39 am

Ok its done...I think. If there are any ways to make it better please tell me because I'm pretty new to shading and stuff
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:40:30 am by Capta1n_Henry »