AuthorTopic: Insomniac Bunny  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Insomniac Bunny

on: September 25, 2006, 05:00:58 pm
Hello every one this is my first time here and this is the start of my first attempt at pixel art  ;D

Old

I call him insomniac bunny :D

New

Updated now with a crappy dithered to the extreme background  :B

I know that it isn't the best but I plan to continue working on him and making him better through what you guys tell me

Tell me what you think or edit to show what I can do better for the next version
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 06:57:57 pm by Alucard »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: Insomniac Bunny

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:44:37 pm
It's good, I like your style, I went ahead and edited the way I would. Since you dithered, I did it all. That's a smooth way of shading.

I kind of AA around the ears (Anti Aliased = Smoothing out the outlines) and the body. Hope you learn from this.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 01:20:01 am
It's not bad, but the way you shaded it is...well...frowned upon by most pixel artists, to put it nicely  :)
It's an interesting picture, but I think there are some line and form problems here and there, such as the hunch-back (I'm sure it was intentional, but it looks off). In VictorR's edit, it doesn't much fix the shading problems, just made it look sort of dirty, and the shading (for the most part) doesn't have much form, making it look flat. I'd edit, but I'm on a really bad computer, so I can't right now, maybe later, though.
I.....am......me............

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:35:58 am
My edit was to show the way the shading would go, dithering wise. I didn't fix any lines or anything. And I did make iook flat but with more shading and lighting you could make it look really nice

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 01:48:20 am
Allright I will screw around with it and see what I can do thanks for the comments people keep 'em coming  :D

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 02:45:54 am
Hi, and welcome to these forums.  ;D

I messed around with it and came up with this:

Anyways, I AAed some of it (not the black outline, mind you. It can be done, but that's a stylistic choice in my opinion :P)
What's more important is that I increased contrast... alot. Teh contrast = very important because it defines shape, gives form to whatever you happen to render. I also those extra shades to define how teh bunny object is shaped.
Read a coupla' tuts. I suggest going to the general forum and checking out the tuts/linkage thread that should be stickied...
I suggest the ones on spriteart.com. They're written by qualified pixel-pushers.

Good luck in your quest for the Holy Grail pixelation skillz.  ;)

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 04:27:10 am
Might as well give you some pointers now that I'm back here hehe

The piece is not bad, the line is clean and easy to read, however as Crazy Asian Game said, you need to be more aggressive with contrast. I won't talk about hue-shifting or any other things, for the time being you can focus on increasing the contrast between the shades and try to improve shading, because the simple shading you have used makes the bunny look a bit pillow-shaded. I know sometimes it might be a style choice to use similar colors or colors with little to no contrast, but I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that for the bunny thing. You can certainly study Crazy's edit and try to figure the changes made. I see plenty of room to improve there, so I'm looking forward to seeing more later.

Catch you in a while.

PS: If you didn't get some of my comments just let me know and I'll try explain better heh
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio