AuthorTopic: crossbow gun thing  (Read 3053 times)

Offline thewizard

• Programmer, Pixel Artist, Animator and more
    • View Profile

crossbow gun thing

on: March 05, 2016, 02:54:19 am

i was wondering what other details could be added and improved

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: crossbow gun thing

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:25 am
There's certainly a merit to learning to draw and construct stuff like this from scratch, but have you considered mocking this up in 3d?

Offline thewizard

• Programmer, Pixel Artist, Animator and more
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:12:28 am
I didn't think about that i think i will

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 04:54:14 am
The proportions are all really inconsistent..
Assuming the sight would be big enough for your eye and the trigger big enough for a finger, how would you grip that when it's so thick and has sharp edges.
It also needs to bend if it's a crossbow and how could you bend a thick wooden block like that?

These are practical things you need to consider when designing something like this.
Look at crossbow references and manuals explaining how crossbows function, that should give you lots of information to work with.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 06:58:00 am
I recommend working from a reference on this.
To get more specific, everything is too blocky. The grip in particular looks like it would hurt to hold as it is, normally the edges would have been sanded off slightly to round it out or, in the case of more modernized crossbows, are replaced with a pistol or rifle grip.

Here's a picture of an old wooden crossbow to work from:

use [img width=X] to specify a new size for large images. -Atnas
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:02:11 am by Atnas »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline PixelPigeon

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:47:57 am
Hello,
  The blocky style would look better if it were lower resolution.  If you want it to look better I would recommend creating more concept sketches that have more detail.  Right now this image is more of an "idea" of a cross bow but with a new design and more details it should turn out better.  Start off googling wooden cross bows.  Then just keep scrolling the images.  Feed your brain enough and you should easily be able to put something new down on paper.  When you finish your concept sketch we can work off of that.

Offline Vertigo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 09:24:32 pm
I'm probably the last person to criticize, so I can give You some advices based on my opinion how to make pixel things look better.
I think this crossbow is a bit uncomfortable to hold. Maybe try to smooth the corners to make it look more realistic. If You wanted to make it very blocky, You did it, but I think this plank on the front should be curved backwards to put a string on it. And it should be thinner, because now it'd pull the front of weapon down and add a lot of weight to construction. You could add more details in different colours e.g. metal mechanisms, bone nails, some paint, or something like this.