AuthorTopic: Johnny J  (Read 13244 times)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: Johnny J

Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 09:11:41 pm
its probably fine to mix directions as long as i guess ur aware of it and control it maybe?

I wasn't aware actually, thanks for mentioning it, i will keep it in mind and try to use it appropriately ::)

For the rice pops, i get what you mean. was trying attempts of several rock kinds to create more interesting and less uniform patterns. Still mostly trying to get better and trying to understand and use different shapes and shadings.

My favorites of those so far are C, E and F for their readability and clarity. I like the shapes of B too but its probably too rough terrain to use ingame, not sure yet.
G looks sort of blurred and washed out, probably more suited underwater floors since its all rounded off without any edges. Same with A i feel.

Something thats totally missing so far is a flat, clean kind of floor without too much noise in it. Still need to work on that part so i can use that as base and throws the more interesting formations on top of it every other couple meters :D

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: Johnny J

Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 12:33:08 am
A good year has passed, and i felt it was about time to ressurect this thing.
Surely nobody is bothered if i ressurect my own thread, but i feel with the progress it is making it's still relevant.

I started to tone down the style as introduced by decroded and keep it a bit rougher. This is still an ongoing process, while i recreate the mockup from the start and try to work out how an actual tileset would work. There's a lot of copypasta going on just so i have something to work with still.

Also i started to add some more environmental features. The climbing sections are now vines or roots for more visual clarity, which i hope i achieved, and then there's a crumbling block, if you can spot it.
I started a segment that is man-made (or not quite man-made) with the columns, the big rock with its inscriptions and the start of an interior design on the bottom row.
I try to get the triangle pattern slightly visible in the big columns (although the cracks hide them pretty well) and in the floor tiles throughout the architecture. But i have to reconsider the walls, they dont quite work out like that. And that just gave me another idea.. stay tuned :lala: