AuthorTopic: [WIP] Janitor  (Read 7327 times)

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

[WIP] Janitor

on: March 02, 2016, 04:02:13 am
What are your first impressions?

Been trying to make some people for a comedic game.  Just started learning pixel art.  Any feedback appreciated.

Using GIMP.  Not sure what else to say . . .
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Janitor

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:06:31 am
He's too gradient.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 04:10:54 am
He's too gradient.

Too many colors?  Or too much contrast between the colors?  Thanks.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:40:34 am
I agree with the gradient comment.
There are too many colours for what you're trying to do, and the shadows are too smooth and soft. By being so soft, the shadows can't convey much meaningful information about the form of the object (the character, in this case).

Think about where your light is coming from, and place highlights and shadows according to that light source. The head is pillow-shaded (the shadows hug the "edge" of the head and don't convey the head's form), and the shadows on the torso don't make much sense, aside from the highlights on the shoulders.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 04:51:59 am
I agree with the gradient comment.
There are too many colours for what you're trying to do, and the shadows are too smooth and soft. By being so soft, the shadows can't convey much meaningful information about the form of the object (the character, in this case).

Think about where your light is coming from, and place highlights and shadows according to that light source. The head is pillow-shaded (the shadows hug the "edge" of the head and don't convey the head's form), and the shadows on the torso don't make much sense, aside from the highlights on the shoulders.

Thank your for the specific comments.  The light source is straight from viewpoint/viewer.  I have looked pixel art in games I like and it seems a lot do it that way.  I know it doesn't make much sense in a still frame but if character is indoors and moving around it doesn't make much sense for the angle of light to stay the same.

I was actually trying to redo a little while you posted:

Original Post:
Attempt to make "less gradient":

In my opinion it depends on the zoom level on which one I prefer.  I want to keep some shading.

I see what you mean about the face not having any form though and will work on it.  Thanks

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 05:39:25 am
Most games use top-front lighting, not actual front lighting. Having the light source to the left or right can cause problems, but having it be above works in almost every environment. When the light source is above the character, it can create cast shadows that help define the form even if the light is otherwise in the centre, whereas front lighting flattens everything and kills the readability of the form.

Your two transitional skin colours are barely noticeable. It's fine to use more colours, just make sure they're distinct and actually contribute to the piece at the intended zoom level. You have similar problems with the colours on almost everything else, too (hair, clothing...). Put those colours to work!

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 05:48:24 am
You are thinking too much on your shading by adding too many colors, instead of trying to use it for perspective.
Your color choice is also very soft values which makes your shading look soft. In your attempt to make it less gradient, you just removed shading, rather than actually fixing it.

Your shading is very cell shaded, there is no obvious light source. which makes the image look rather unrealistic.

This is my version of a janitor, I would recommend starting off smaller. Your sprite is rather giant. why make it harder on yourself?
Look at my colors of choice, mainly on the jumpsuit. Think selectively about your colors, ask yourself, do I really need this color in the piece, or do I really want the color? If you answer yes to these questions then probably keep them, otherwise you'd probably be safe, and better off not including them.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 05:01:30 am
I felt stuck with trying to improve on him so I messed around with animating him:

The walking straight down I don't feel so bad about but when changing the angle I realized I need much more practice and the too many colors started to haunt me.

Good advice:
... Your sprite is rather giant. why make it harder on yourself? ....

So I started over with a smaller canvas:

Please note these are for practice—not planning on using them—as I would have to give credit do Earthbound (SNES) as I like their art and started by redrawing that for practice (another advice I heard recently was to redraw pixel art I was fond of):

Despite that said I would still love any feedback or advice on these as at many times I feel lost and am just trying things out.

Thanks.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 07:14:35 am

Enlarged it again-I'm finding the small canvas really difficult.

I like it more than the last but on some areas I am just trying things out - like the light on the top of his head.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 07:33:41 am
He's very geometric. People don't have sharp edges...