AuthorTopic: Sprite Base - Newbie  (Read 2330 times)

Offline samahan

• View Profile

Sprite Base - Newbie

on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:15 pm
Hello Everyone. I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks and figured it was about time I posted something I was working on. Below is my attempt at making a base sprite sheet for characters for a JRPG style game. I know I have lots of room to improve upon but clearly you have to start somewhere. The basic goal here is for the sprite to be a little smaller than 32x32 so that I have room to make slightly different heights and customization's for other characters.

I'd say the things i'm most interested in would be ways to improve the color pallet and ways to better define the face but I would love any and all help you'd be willing to give.

Thanks!

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Sprite Base - Newbie

Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:36 pm
Nice sprite base.  The first thing I notice is the small bit of banding on the nose and butt crack.  I usually solve these problems by making the sprite an odd number of pixels wide. 

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:06:03 am
Hi there,

You've done well for a newbie so far.
Aside from dpixels crit you also don't seem to be using much contrast. Specifically your darker colours are too light so your character doesn't really stand out.

Also maybe try having a more dynamic pose as suggested in an excellent post here by Atnas.
* may contain misinformation

Offline samahan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:59 pm
Thank you both for the feedback. Work has been kicking me at the moment but I hope to apply some of your feedback later today.

I only had a limited amount of time today but I focused on applying dpixels feedback with regards to having an odd pixel width. From there I updated the body some which I overall like but I feel the head is now to large and my experiments to reduce its size but maintain the odd width make it look worse.

Ambivorous I'd love more advice on how I could improve the colors. I did make some minor alterations but i'm hesitant to make to many changes as this is the closest i've come to a pallet I am pleased by. I tend to be very bad with color choice. As for the more dynamic pose I'm going to hold off for now. Part of what i'm hoping to accomplish is to finish this all the way through animation just so that I have something "done". I have a bad habit of continually redoing my work to where I never actually finish anything.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:42:20 pm by samahan »