AuthorTopic: Can anyone learn pixelart?  (Read 6243 times)

Offline cameronasmith

• View Profile

Can anyone learn pixelart?

on: February 21, 2016, 02:56:57 pm
Hello,

I LOVE pixelart. I grew up in the Amiga days (UK) with Pixel art. My goal is to be able to do Pixel Art of the level of Wing Commander!

I'm a software developer and would love to learn Pixel art to make games, not really for money just for fun.

My question is someone who has never really done any form of art will I be able to get to the standard to make an image of this quality?

I'm spending on average 1 hour a day / each day on practicing. How long would you expect it to take (i know each person is different)

Thank you for your time,

Cameron.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Can anyone learn pixelart?

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 03:08:35 pm
It really depends from person to person. The guys that drew that art were probably practicing more than one hour a day for at least a decade or whatever. Basically, just post what you're doing here, explain how you're practicing. By practicing the right way, we can easily cut the time it'll take you to get there in half or more, so you need people to guide your practice.

Offline cameronasmith

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:30:07 pm
Hi Gil,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I think it takes a lot of work to get to that level.

I'm going to post some of my work soon, but I just want to make it a bit more tidy.

May I ask, how long you have been doing PixelArt and do you think you could make something of that quality. I hope you don't mind me asking it's just to get an idea.

Thanks,

Cameron.

Offline cameronasmith

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:46:19 pm
Gill,

The way i'm practicing is trying to copy existing art from the Amiga days. If I try and make something myself from my brain it sucks! Hehehe

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cameron.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:55:17 pm
I'm not a very good reference I'm afraid. I've been studying art since I was a kid (more than two decades, including art college) and pixel art since 2002 more or less. I don't think I could make something of that particular quality, but I could come close enough probably and maybe even improve certain parts (there's some small technical problems here and there).

On the other hand, there's people on this website that have been studying art for 5 years and that could probably match the quality of this easily. I'm a slow learner I guess, but you keep doing what you love :).

Copying art is one way to start out, that was used at least as far back as the renaissance as a teaching technique, so it's not too bad of an idea for now. Of course, you know that the first thing we're going to tell you to do is to pick up a pencil and start drawing. There's no such thing as someone good at pixel art, that's not also a good draftsman.

Hope to see some pictures soon :)

Offline RAV

• View Profile
    • Blackbox Voxel Tool

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 05:20:56 pm
From my observations and our discussions here, it seems to boil down to this: There are minimalist pixel styles, popular in the indie scene, that can indeed somewhat compensate for lack in art fundamentals, and ease up development. You can still be pretty creative with that, have a good fun and decent visuals, it's a rich playfield on its own. But the more elaborate and articulate your sprites and tiles, the more ambitious your artistic direction, the more unique your vision, the more is basic art fundamentals your biggest challenge first, before pixel art specific refinement comes into play. Experienced artists in communities such as here will always encourage you to develop yourself deeper. Going more abstract and iconic can partially eliminate certain aspects, so you can concentrate on others meanwhile. But the samples you give here are the culmination of a long hard work on all around art. There's a lot more to be said on the issue, but that's a different kind of graphics research, not directly relevant what you're asking for here.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:58:10 pm
I wouldn't think that copying pixel art from Wing Commander would help you become a better pixel artist. Instead, copying the attitude the original artist took toward creating the pixel art in the first place would help you more.

What I mean is, this guy looks like he was a painter before he was a pixel artist. Therefore, the attitude he took toward pixel art was that of a painter. As a beginner, you may not understand how I can arrive at this conclusion, but as an artist experienced with pixel techniques as well as painterly techniques, it is clear from his color choices to establish his gradients that he approached them from an approach to painting that resembled older 80s box-art which would have fit with the look of sci fi popular at the time.

That being said, because he was a painter before he was a pixel artist, he already understood the fundamentals required to create convincing enough pixel art. He clearly had much more to learn as a pixel artist in terms of technique, but to begin pixel art with fundamentals such as how to compose and light a scene, or how to draw human anatomy and facial forms, alongside a visual library of sci-fi he likely had from prior work to draw from, his transition to being able to create pixel art easily, even as a painter, probably came a lot more naturally to him than it would to someone who had no experience with those concepts.

So, to answer your question about whether *anyone* can be a pixel artist, the answer is yes -- just as long as they have the skills or approach to how and what type of pixel art they desire to create *prior* to attempting pixel art.

Pixel art both is and isn't a style -- but if you're approaching it to emulate a particular style, you best understand where that style came from, and embrace yourself all the attitudes and ideals it embraces, before trying to make it your own. If not, you'll struggle for years never understanding just why exactly your art never looks quite right.

The bottom line is, you'll be doing it wrong because you've practiced it wrong, and you practiced it wrong because you didn't understand how to practice, and you didn't understand how to practice because you didn't understand what was important to the look you were trying to achieve, and you didn't understand that because you haven't yet learned how to see art beyond the final image presented.

Once you have achieved a level of experience that you can glance at an image and break down a piece of art into its individual attitudes and techniques, you'll be able to create any art style you wish -- very well -- pixel art or otherwise.

Don't let this discourage you though -- you don't have to be a master at technique to create great art, just as long as you aim at and embrace practicing only the level of art that matches your own skill level.

Only when you feel bored with your level of skill, try learning a new technique or two, such as creating better 3d forms in grayscale or applying contrast and color to them, then try to do this on an image with multiple layers of depth, then finally practice using color and hue to separate elements where depth is a lot lower between the multiple planes of depth and later try doing this with textures. By the end of that, all that will be left is construction and color to learn if you wanted to take it to the limit. Both are choices made in the name of style -- you don't have to know them if you want unrealistic, but drawing from reality, even in cartoons, makes them more potent and relatable. The last thing you might want to know is composition, because through this, you learn unity and balance to create harmony in your images. These things take time, but learning them one at a time and never going beyond your skill until you're ready to learn a new technique is the key to becoming a skilled artist and making great art in the process of getting there.

One thing you probably never consider as a new artist is that you can already make great art -- especially when looking at what you want to do, versus what you can already do.. But this is a fallacy in your mindset. No matter how simple or untrained the artist's hand, your unique touch is always present in every stroke or simple shape you make. Whether it is hastily drawn, or carefully crafted, with or without technical skill, you're very life is present in your art. So, my advice is to embrace your own essence in your art, rather than trying to emulate a look or a style, because you'll find one a lot faster, one of your own, with all the greatness of your influences, when you embrace only what you are currently capable, and embrace more only when you are capable of more. You will look to your influences to understand them gradually, and will be as good (or better!) than them before you ever realize it! Your goal should only ever be to be as good as you are right now, and only move beyond that when you're fully comfortable with where you are now. If you keep practicing at that, even at one hour a day, you'll be better than you've ever imagined you're capable of -- and gotten there tons faster than you would have had you been trying to be as 'good' as someone else.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:35:41 pm
just to add 2 cents on what astraldata said, even though you should not try to (literally) replicate the pixel art in wing commander it is good that you have a goal set for you, it'll help you to pave your path in the right direction if you know what I mean.
Start doing small pieces, trying something really big or complex will only burn you out. There are many resources to improve your pixel art, when you're feeling confident you can try to study and analise pieces and see what they did well.

Whether we're talking about pixel art or oil paintings, I think this video will help you out a lot.

Offline cameronasmith

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 09:02:17 pm
Wow, guys!

Thank you so much for your great responses! I think you are right in the fact that I will get disheartened if I try do something as complicated as Wing Commander to start with, but I'm still unsure of then what I should start with.

Should I just try and make something simple a d submit it, even through it might be awful?

FYI: super interesting that the artist came from a painting background.

Thwank you all for your great answers.

Cameron

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:51:49 pm
Here's a comprehensive tutorial that touches on all kinds of useful stuff. Must-read imo:

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#foreword

Should I just try and make something simple a d submit it, even through it might be awful?
You bet! Have fun, first and foremost :) Awful doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:55:35 pm by ErekT »