AuthorTopic: Snazzy little RPG pixel dude  (Read 7525 times)

Offline Enichan

• Rawr n__n
    • View Profile

Snazzy little RPG pixel dude

on: September 21, 2006, 11:09:48 pm
First, THE PICTURE.

Second. HELLO PIXELATION! :lol:

I am back, again, and hopefully for more than *checks* two posts this time. I'm sure nobody remembers me, but that's okay.

Anyhow, plx C&C. I may add AAing at a later date. Actual AA (but still hand placed) depending on wether the project this is for can actually do such alphablending, and wether I think it's too much of a chore or not!

Though I must warn in advance, crits about the solid color outline and/or lack of selout won't be met with a lot of enthusiasm. This is the first of a series of stuff I'm going to be making for an actual game and I'd like to shave off the extra hours per frame. Plus I think this toonish style is kinda spiffy in it's own way. Will not be changing these, I am stubborn. Yes.

I'm still undecided wether to keep his suit the color it is, or wether his hair. I think the colors are a bit too samey as it stands. Maybe I'll make him a fiesty redhead.

Took about an hour and 15 minutes.

MO: Sketched up the basic outline in photoshop on tablet (about 5 minutes), traced over with dark clean lines (about 5-10 minutes), imported into Paint Shop Pro (5, ancient, but it gets the job done), resized using bilinear filtering. Traced outline with black (also 5 minute-ish), then filling in color from the head downwards. (bulk of the time spent was on the damn collar)

Current:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:10:51 am by Enichan »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Snazzy little RPG pixel dude

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:17:01 pm
I'd give the skin tones some more saturation, but then again, I'm a saturation lover.

I'm sure nobody remembers me, but that's okay.

We do remember you and it's an honor to have you back! Welcome!

Offline Ryuria

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 11:22:34 pm
The shading on the hair is kind of wierd. You can probably make it smoother. Other than that. I love it.

Offline Enichan

• Rawr n__n
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 11:25:55 pm
Yay! I'm remembered. :D I have to admit I took a long hiatus from pixel art there for a while, trying to improve my general art (which I kinda sorta did up to a point, I think this piece shows a firmer understanding than my older ones) and even dabbling in the blasphemy that is 3d work. Though modelling didn't really do it for me, and animating was hell. I think I'll stick to art, pixel art, and texturing. :lol:

And I'm glad to be back. Pixelation somehow always feels like home to me. :)

Also on the saturation, wouldn't more of it on the skin tones make him look kind of jaundiced and unhealthy?

EDIT: On the hair, good point. I'll see about cleaning that up a little if I find the time.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:32:33 pm by Enichan »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:32:59 pm
His right leg is at an unnatural (though technically not impossible) angle for such a relaxed, hands in pockets tone the piece has.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:45:52 pm
I think Gil's right. More saturation in the skin would be good. I'd say he looks a bit unhealthy and pale at the moment. I'd try cranking the sat almost all the way up and make the lightest skin tone a bit redder.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 12:29:14 am
 That's a cool sprite you made there. The shading overall is good for an anime style character. He reminds of me Dai-chan aka DA or Daisuke Asakura.

Offline Enichan

• Rawr n__n
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:46:05 am
Well I cleaned up the hair, reflected in original post (also below). I looked at the leg and posed around myself for a bit, and as near as I can tell that's the typical "look how badassed I am in my spiffy suit" pose guys like to do.

I also tried to up the saturation on the skin, but I'm not very partial to it. Then again I like lower saturation as a rule. To me even with the relatively slight change he looks jaundiced.

Cleaned up version left, cleaned up with higher saturation right.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 01:02:16 am
Actually no, that's a lot better. If it were me, I'd add even more, but it's pretty good already. Desaturated he just looks like he's going to take a chunk out of your brain...

Offline Enichan

• Rawr n__n
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 01:10:31 am
I suppose I'll go with that then, though I'm still not seeing it. @_@ of course, that's not too odd considering the desaturated version has already gotten too "familiar" to my eye. Updated original post to reflect changes.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 01:39:46 am
This is what I would suggest. Redder and full sat on the lightest.

Offline Enichan

• Rawr n__n
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 03:06:02 am
Pawige, that's definately too much for my delicate sensibilities. The saturation, it hurts and stings! But I'll keep it where it was.

However, after seeing this image:

I felt the urgent need to BREAK OUT. Break out of the outline, that is. I've always admired that whole semi-outlineless style, and I just can't bloody figure it out. That 1 pixel can do so much for a piece, too. Well, here's the rather sloppy edit I made of the original that has this outlineless style. I don't think it quite works, but  then I don't think I quite know what I'm doing, so that fits. :(

Old - New
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:18:23 am by Enichan »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 03:07:05 am
 That's really good Pawige. Red skintone hehe.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 05:37:26 pm
Hi enichan! This is a very nice piece you made, but I noticed some "small" perspective issues, so i made some fast fixes. I hope you don't mind, at least it will give you some idea for adjustments

I hope this helps :)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:45:58 pm by Froli »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 05:57:17 pm
using no outlines has a good reason :O
it takes too long :P

i like that sprite you made ^^
the head somehow looks like inuyasha xD
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Enichan

• Rawr n__n
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 06:14:10 pm
Hi enichan! This is a very nice piece you made, but I noticed some "small" perspective issues, so i made some fast fixes. I hope you don't mind, at least it will give you some idea for adjustments

I hope this helps :)
I like what you did with the collar on the right side, actually. Trying to get that to look right has been a pain. :y:

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 07:36:02 pm
I like it, outfit looks like a schoool uniform..the skins a little pale but no biggy..love the hair :y:

Werewolf

Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 08:03:24 pm
It's good, but since I'm not a great pixel artist I can't really say anything, but as a regular person/gamer the face doesn't match the body. Regardless of the style, put some distance between the eyes and the mouth.