AuthorTopic: How to shade fur?  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: How to shade fur?

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 08:51:40 am
i just wanna say my comments about the saturation are a bit exaggerated now that i see this on my home monitor (not that its a good monitor).
earlier i was viewing on my phone's amoled screen which oversaturates things.
still i think ambivorious has nice colours  :D

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 10:51:41 am
Well if Decroded is going to toot my horn I guess I owe a more in depth edit.
I don't expect you to make an edit after this, and I think you've done quite well and should put this away as done before you get sick of it.

So I've done a few things here, which could have been achieved in different ways, but just to give you some ideas.
  • A lot of my clusters are wide, flat, rhombus shapes to help with the fur/hair feel.
  • I overemphasized some of foxy's features to add character. As well as looked at the reference more to get the general pose more accurate.
  • I also changed the background to some random thing I haven't organised yet and is very rough, but the idea was that where there are light colours on the edge of the fox I have a dark background to bring them out, and light where there is dark. This is essentially creating an outline using the background. Just makes sure I don't lose any of the details to the plain white of the previous background. It's rough though, so don't judge me too harshly and don't follow it like a bible. I was just trying to give you ideas of things to do.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:05:38 pm
@Decroded
I'm going to look into it! So much to do haha :D
(but with the things you said later I'm kinda confused if I should completely reconfigure my colors haha)

@ptoing
Thank you! I really like it ,so I took some ideas from it :D

@Ambivorous
As I'm not getting the motivation to work on something for training so often (or at least not as much as I would like to) I quite enjoy working on something while getting so much feedback on it!
Your edit is amazing! I agree with Decroded your colors are awesome! I'm going to look a bit at your background later as it is really good!

Well anyways: Thanks for so much feedback again! I tried somethings not sure how good it is tho'. (Ignore the weird shadow I just forgot to remove it)

Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]