AuthorTopic: [C+C] Themed Characters  (Read 3808 times)

Offline werbenjagermanjensen

• View Profile

[C+C] Themed Characters

on: January 15, 2016, 08:57:38 am
Hi! First post, I've been following this board for a while and finally decided to reach out and get a little feedback on my pixel art. I'm working on making a few themed characters for a mobile game my team and I are developing for a capstone project. I'm not an expert by any means though, and any feedback you could give me on the images would be much appreciated! I tried to have each different class feel like a different character, like TF2. I'm getting close to finalizing my designs for these characters and starting to work for real on their animations; before that there are a few colors I'm going to have to tweak to make the palette harmonious across all characters.

Sorry for the wrong size on the next two, I made them a while ago at a higher zoom level to show to a few people.

This last one was made a long time ago, and I think it shows as being a lot less fluid than the first animation.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Themed Characters

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:54:02 am
There's lots to improve.
For example  sniper leans forward too much and the outfit is kinda odd i wonder if one of those grassy camo suits would make more sense.
Mr T's head a bit too far forward and skin  tone is so similar to shirt that we can't  see his arms properly, legs seem weird i think u should  nail the standing stance before animating.
Same with rambo's legs and there's  a handle on the machine gun so would  look cool if he was using it.
Hard to put much else into words and no time for edits right now  :blind:

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:46:04 pm
I made a few changes to the commando character, his legs were wonky before.

I ended up settling on a karate gi for the rocket guy, since the belt is something kind of dynamic to give a better sense of movement. I want to include something like this on all of the characters (maybe not on the lumberjack, since he is in a full run and seems dynamic enough already).

Here are all the characters all together. I tried to reuse colors across them and make none of them too contrasting with the others. In the end each character has about 10 colors each, but some of those are shared for a total of probably about low 40's colors.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:47:37 pm by werbenjagermanjensen »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:52:12 am
Lumberjacks like axes and chainsaws...jus sayin  :P

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:01:09 am
I think everything looks great and a little awkwardness in the poses and actions may actually be cute in this case

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:44:57 am
Chainsaw!

Animated the machine gunner

Tried re-animating the bomb guy. For the other characters, I was able to use a darker shade of their pants material to show which leg was in front, but the bomb guy's pants are close to black, so I had to lighten the shadow; I think it comes off kind of weird, but maybe thats only because its against a grey background.

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:34:07 am
I've got all the walk animations done, so I'm about to work on the firing animation.

I think my animations feel like they aren't really putting weight on their feet, but I'm not sure how to fix this.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:52:06 pm
Maybe some hand or arm movement.  I understand that you probably want to keep the sniper still, but it looks too static, along with being impossible.

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 11:57:22 pm

Man, its crazy what a few adjustments in a couple of frames can do. It finally looks like he's running and not skipping

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 12:08:12 am
These are cool, I like em :)

I think my animations feel like they aren't really putting weight on their feet, but I'm not sure how to fix this.
Like Rosier hinted at their upper bodies are too rigid. You might want to try and carry a heavy object around in both hands to feel how your arms and body compensate for the extra weight.