AuthorTopic: Noir detective comic  (Read 3486 times)

Offline robp

• View Profile

Noir detective comic

on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:04 pm
I feel a bit embarrassed posting this here, some of the work is just amazing! But working on an (animated) comic and would love some feedback to make it as good as possible.

http://i.imgur.com/X4IDZjf.gif?1

Things I'm not sure about
  • Feel pretty bad about drawing characters, do they need any work? Is the guys arm leaning okay?
  • Purple window, does it look okay? should I add cracks or the silhouettes of people inside or something? not really sure how to do that
  • Do the bricks look okay? Should I replace them with metal or something I dont think I like them personally.
  • What about the top part of the building should I add more windows or something?
  • The whole black area behind the detective, should I add something maybe the shadow of a car or chain link fence? I kind of like it black personally, lends to the noir style of a detective standing in silhouette in the shadows.

Here is another test panel before I did this one, I think I'm gonna add the rain and cig smoke to this one also. http://i.imgur.com/I18gSnK.gif?1

Thanks so much!

Edit: Update 1st Dec 15

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:59:46 pm by robp »

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Re: Noir detective comic

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:59:48 pm
Do you have any particular style you are aming at? If you post some reference images, people know what you are after.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:41:45 pm
wow I really like this style! :D

The bricks seem a big odd to me, the glass panel a bit plane but the style you used to draw people is amazing O:
Also the animation looks a bit fast and the guy in white looks like he is just touching that thing for no reason (at least i think so).

(Also the dithering on the test panel is too straight I guess)

Edit:
Haha I had so much fun messing with this character style. Just wondering where did you get that from? :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:02:45 am by Pusty »
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 03:31:10 am
Fun little scene. I got a bit carried away with it but i wanted to take a shot at it.

Let me point out some general things about your piece.
You used too much subtle shading and details. Color differences that your eye only picks up when heavily zoomed in. This creates an insane color count for no benefit at all.
The piece is also very dark. It is not necessary to crank the brightness slider all the way down for a dark scene.
Additionally colors were reused randomly which made it sort of awkward to recolor. You could try to create a distinct palette for one each character and/or object/materials but that only as a side note.

The poses on your characters are very stiff and anatomically...weird  ::) you might wanna look into learning character poses to get a more dynamic and authentic feel for it.

I'm not even sure i could make out that those were brick walls, those look sort of like wooden planks to me. Personally i like to avoid repeating patterns like that, and if, i make them subtle enough to not catch the viewers attention as much.

Glass, well, i never worked with glass or reflections, thus it looks weird. Hopefully someone else can give some better insight with this.

Finally for the animation, your's is very uniform. it takes less than a second to realize its a repeating pattern and after that it gets annoying to look at with all the blinking. Try to get some variety with the timing in there to make it look more dynamic.
For the light itself, it is a very stark contrast which makes it even more of a burden for the eyes. Careful with strong flickers like this, try to be more subtle.

Animated comic sounds wicked though, looking forward to it!

Offline robp

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:57:58 pm
Do you have any particular style you are aming at? If you post some reference images, people know what you are after.

I was going for the style of the game Dark Side Detective in this frame, check it out, the art styles amazing:
http://i.imgur.com/E7YwtnF.gifv

wow I really like this style! :D

The bricks seem a big odd to me, the glass panel a bit plane but the style you used to draw people is amazing O:
Also the animation looks a bit fast and the guy in white looks like he is just touching that thing for no reason (at least i think so).

(Also the dithering on the test panel is too straight I guess)

Edit:
Haha I had so much fun messing with this character style. Just wondering where did you get that from? :D

Thanks, kind of just made it up I guess, seemed to be the simplest way to draw someone from scratch working a pixel at a time.

Fun little scene. I got a bit carried away with it but i wanted to take a shot at it.

Let me point out some general things about your piece.
You used too much subtle shading and details. Color differences that your eye only picks up when heavily zoomed in. This creates an insane color count for no benefit at all.
The piece is also very dark. It is not necessary to crank the brightness slider all the way down for a dark scene.
Additionally colors were reused randomly which made it sort of awkward to recolor. You could try to create a distinct palette for one each character and/or object/materials but that only as a side note.

The poses on your characters are very stiff and anatomically...weird  ::) you might wanna look into learning character poses to get a more dynamic and authentic feel for it.

I'm not even sure i could make out that those were brick walls, those look sort of like wooden planks to me. Personally i like to avoid repeating patterns like that, and if, i make them subtle enough to not catch the viewers attention as much.

Glass, well, i never worked with glass or reflections, thus it looks weird. Hopefully someone else can give some better insight with this.

Finally for the animation, your's is very uniform. it takes less than a second to realize its a repeating pattern and after that it gets annoying to look at with all the blinking. Try to get some variety with the timing in there to make it look more dynamic.
For the light itself, it is a very stark contrast which makes it even more of a burden for the eyes. Careful with strong flickers like this, try to be more subtle.

Animated comic sounds wicked though, looking forward to it!

I can't believe how amazing that looks, thanks for the help! I just googled poses of someone leaning and sketched the guy on the right before redrawing him. It's not perfect but it looks a lot better than before so I'm definitely gonna plan out my drawings beforehand from now on.

Color pallets a good idea, not sure how many to use though, maybe 5-8ish for the whole scene? Each with a shadow and light version? I love the way you simplified the characters, it gives them so much more character using less detail, i've drawn your style over the top of mine and it looks great. Curious how you decide what colours to use? Like how the neck is purple, it looks right for the night time but I would have never though to use it.

Also tried making the animation look more natural like you said. Not as good as yours but still a big improvement I think :).

Offline robp

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:57:29 pm
Finally got around to working on this, went for a completely different style, any suggestions? I'm not too sure, thanks. I liked the way the text looked on photoshop but it looks pretty shaky after exporting it, I might add a few more versions of it too make it look less shaky.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:59:44 pm by robp »

Offline robp

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:59:27 pm