AuthorTopic: Old Master Remastered Challenge  (Read 115664 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Old Master Remastered Challenge

Reply #40 on: September 24, 2006, 01:36:00 pm
Damn thats awesome!

Can you put her arms in different positions  please  :P

Werewolf

Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 03:03:17 pm
In all honesty (not pervitude) her right breast should be exposed. Also, but this I guess can't apply, she's covering her self with her own long hair. Oh and shes gazing a bit less to the left.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 03:39:14 pm

:D

Anywhoo. Excellent work Miascugh. Personally, I want you to keep that dithering. It gives it an old painting feel much like when you use oil-paint on a hard-texture canvas. Not much of a crit at the moment. Her right (our right) foot is slightly tilted which makes me think that she's balancing on it's side rather then on the whole sole.

Hmm... Chun's leg muscles has always intrigued me. Gives her character though.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: September 24, 2006, 03:47:09 pm
yea! i thought the same snake
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #44 on: September 24, 2006, 03:50:06 pm

:D

I actually laughed outloud to this... my parents must think i'm going crazy sitting up here laughing to myself  :crazy:

I don't really have a problem with the dither.  It's not too noticeable on my screen and it gives the background a nice effect.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: September 24, 2006, 03:52:26 pm
It's not supposed to be a copy, and if the breast is 15% more covered than in the original, who cares. I mean, think withing reason, I already made the hand as small as i could without having it be an antialiased mess, with 1 pixel wide fingers and it's still quite big (and that's how Street Fighter handles it too), covering two thirds of her chest. What bothers me more, is that I accidentally altered her stance, twisting the whole torso a bit counterclockwise, making her off-balance in combination with her extravagant thighs. Agreed on the eyes, i already had them somewhat more centered, before. Refresh to see if it's any better now.

edit: Snake: haha, catmouth would have been suited better maybe for the lower censorstrip. Thanks, I'll see what i can do about the foot.

edit2: Changed the foot, not sure if it helped.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 08:06:44 pm by miascugh »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #46 on: September 25, 2006, 12:57:22 am
catmouth would have been suited better maybe for the lower censorstrip.

thanks for that mental image  :-[

HERE BE CRITIQUE

first of all, I'm glad to see this thread take off in a good way after I sorta monopolyzed the critiquage. Sorry again.

Evil-ville: the piece is not finished, but I enjoy how your style meshes with the phobist lots-of-lines rendering of the original. More critique when it's more finalized. Which means: please finish!

Helm: use a palette that doesn't belong in a meatshop, you fag

goosemonger: the piece is mostly solid besides in my opinion the odd dithering on the suit. But why not do it in the full size so you can see how it is to try to emulate oils with pixels like miascugh did with the soft dithers and lots of colors? It's a nice trick.

Elk: This is heading the right way. Why not just crop and finish so you can say you finished your entry? Nice dithering and pretty good tone and detail.

Snake: awesomely true to the concept of the remastering process. There are some places you are missing AA, like where the dress meets the chair in the lower section of the image, an odd 2-pixel contour as well. Generally, the colors are great, but this would benefit from another pass of aaing, I think.

ptoing: talk about made-for-zx. Very good. Perhaps c64 hi-res version just to once again prove the superiority of the commie?

mia: I have to tell you that picture is so odd in my eyes and makes me feel very weird. To see a capcom anatomy sprite in such a context really hurts that part of my brain that makes sense of things. Selout looks all the more wrong and hilarious in that context too. Of course the technical execution is top-notch, a very enjoyable entry. God, I hate selout.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 25, 2006, 05:10:33 am
God, I hate selout.

when badly done its the ugliest thing, but it does serve a purpose when done properly (capcom is NOT an example of doing it properly).  when you do linear drawings on paper though, surely you vary the lineweight?  why then should not game art vary they lineweight as well by using dark heay lines in recesses, and light soft lines on the bulges?  we're talking practical applications of renaissance technique alive in pixelart, and i dont know about you, but i think thats a good thing
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #48 on: September 25, 2006, 06:10:33 am
OT: What you describe doesn't fall under the name 'selout', for me. What I refer to when I talk of selout, is the specific capcom technique named and popularized in the internet scene by blumonkey and Tsugumo back 5 years ago or so. As I've told you before, I see no need to confuse one thing (general applications of variable line width) with another (pixel-art specific term named selout), as such confusion serves no purpose that I can think of. Of course I believe your examples of renaissance line weight, as posted before, are wonderful and to be applied in pixel art. I use similar techniques in every piece I do, but that is not selout in my opinion.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: September 25, 2006, 06:47:09 am
Helm, your very right. It's almost like selective outlining is good, and Selout™ is bad. This is a very interesting topic, I may join in with something by MC Escher.